Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't enable cached mode (2003)

I have a client who is trying to change his environment from not using cached exchange mode to using it. He originally installed Office 2003 using the custom installation wizard and set cached mode to disabled. Now he wants to enable it, but nothing we have tried will do it for existing profiles. When he looks in Outlook, the use cached exchange mode check box is grayed out (and cleared). We have tried using the Custom Installation Wizard, Custom Maintenance Wizard, and editing the registry value by hand. Nothing works. Even if the registry value looks correct (enabled) after a reboot, once Outlook is launched, it changes back to disabled.

I have just suggested he try using Group Policy to do this, but from what I've read, it looks like this will only effect new profiles, not existing ones. Does anyone have any ideas how to enable cached mode for existing profiles?

Thanks in advance!
    -Torry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Can't enable cached mode (2003)

I think you do want to use Group Policy. See "Using Group Policy to enforce Cached Exchange Mode settings" in Setting Up Outlook 2003 Cached Exchange Mode Accounts - Office 2003 Resource Kit - Microsoft Office Online.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

He just emailed me back. Said his exchange administrator does not want to force everyone to use cached mode. They just want the option te be able to switch back and forth.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have attached a MS KB on troubleshooting the Cached Exchange Mode: 1. This client is on an Exchange Server? 2. Group Policy restricted usage? or 3. Microsoft Terminal Services has been installed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

An member of the administrator group on his PC can run GPEDIT.MSC and change the appropriate settings set out in the article I referenced.

Joe
    Joe