New Lounger
    Thanks

home networking using dsl router

I am trying to network my desktop computer and my new laptop. My dsl router has wireless and I have no problem getting on the net. But I have run the network wizard many times and cannot get the two computers to acknowledge each other. What am I doing wrong?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: home networking using dsl router

That question, Ernie, could have a myriad of answers I'm afraid. Please go to this StarPost and check out the suggested analysis there: <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:>

Let us know how you fare...

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a dsl router from yahoo with wireless and ethernet. My desk top is connected with ethernet cable in my house. I want to network with my laptop located in my workshop using the wireless feature of the router. I am able to use the router when in my shop and have no problem getting on the web. Both computers are using windows XP. I have run the network wizard many times following the instructions in both my Dummys books. When I run "set up a new network " wizard on my laptop, it tells me I have a disconnected cable, (Duh!), and when I run the "set up a wireless network " wizard, It seems ok but when I ask to see the computers on my network I get "none found". I have tried to ping each other without success. Have shut off the firewalls and it makes no difference. Contacted the dsl provider and was told it shouldn't be a problem, but I would have to contact my software provider or the computer manufacturer. It there some simple solution?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

ernie,

There are so many things that could be causing these symptoms that you really do need to go through the steps in <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:> one at a time and let us know exactly what output you get from each one.

For example, I assume that you can access the Internet from both PCs, and therefore that both PCs can successfully ping the gateway. Because you haven't given us the step by step answers I don't know if they both see the same gateway!

We don't know if you have enabled the guest account, and if you have the same username and password on both computers.

You said "when I ask to see the computers on my network I get "none found".", but what we really need is the exact output you get from the NET USE and NET VIEW commands in <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:>.

Please go through the troubleshooting steps one at a time and let us know what output you get.

StuartR