Thanks

Renaming standard folders (MSO 2003)

I had started a discussion of the text/junk mail in <post#=638104>post 638104</post#>, and, as some know, I "branched off" and got in a bit of a quandary.

As part of my meddling, I renamed the "Junk E-mail" folder (to z_Junk Email) in order to have it drop to the bottom of the folder tree... And of course, I did this prior to the PST backup I created today.

No problem.

But now, as I was trying to revert back, I am not able to rename the folder back to it's original name.

How come, and is there an easy way to rectify this?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Renaming standard folders (MSO 2003)

Chuck it is not a good idea to rename or delete the default folders, those which are created when a default PST is created. Think of how much of your time your meddling is costing you.

Try this - close Outlook and all Outlook windows and processes. Then from the Start | Run box, type:

outlook.exe /resetfoldernames

See if that helps. If not, then again close Outlook as above, and try:

outlook.exe /resetfolders

If that doesn't work, recreate your Mail Profile under Control Panel | Mail.

If that doesn't work, back up your PST and Outlook settings with the data migration tool, and reinstall Outlook.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

John:

>>
    outlook.exe /resetfoldernames

<<

Worked great! Thanks.

>>
    Chuck it is not a good idea to rename or delete the default folders, those which are created when a default PST is created. Think of how much of your time your meddling is costing you.
    <<

John, although I understand your concern, and certainly I appreciate the several times I've sought and received assistance from this board in my wanderings, I don't think that (necessarily) always abiding by Microsoft's choices, settings, and defaults is even a good thing, let alone set-in-stone.

Wouldn't you say a great part of the knowledge of these boards' members was and will be acquired through testing, mistakes, stumblings, and a grand helping of overly-ambitious curiosity? I for one hope so, because I think that that is the very soul of the search to find and or attain better ways and means.

Not that I have, as yet, mind you, as board members will more than attest to willingly. I guess I need to rub the lamp in a bit different manner, you think maybe?

Thanks for making what was looking like a logjam into a minor mishap, John.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

John:

Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to either re-invent the wheel, nor am I trying to really break or ignore "the rules". And more often than not the solution to either something I'm trying to find the explanation or the solution for is buried in work already done... God only knows you all have pointed out the merits of "googling" my problems to me on more than one occasion.

I think that often my impetuosity is spawned by a lack of author clarity: MS never says "better not rename the key folders in Outlook", and, in fact, the renaming went flawlessly. If I hadn't wanted to revert to original names, I wouldn't have had any problem whatsoever. But, strangely, when I try to rename the folder again -- to the original default name -- it doesn't work. So there we have no warnings, no caveats, no suggested solutions -- at least not readily apparent.

I've ALWAYS thought that one of the big problems with the documentation out today is that it's written in a cubicle with no windows, rather than in an open office surrounded by beta testers. Woody's own book on Office 2003 (the only book you'll ever need) failed to reveal resolution to the first three questions I put to it. Now granted, the answers were probably there -- somewhere -- but not readily available to the common user.

At the same time, situations just like that of this last show me that the answers ARE most often there, if you know how to find them. That's the crux however, because if you haven't come across the problem, and the warning isn't highlighted, you won't even know what question to pose to prepare for or avoid conundrums.

In short: thanks again for saving my booty... And, like using Google, I'll try to learn to be more circumspect in my approach to dabbling and tweaking.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

> I don't think that (necessarily) always abiding by Microsoft's choices, settings, and defaults ...

OK, but you are taking risks. With very few exceptions, I limit my changes and hacks to those which can be made via the menus , Microsoft acknowledged Registry setting adjustments, or VBA.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS