4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. of Recipients (XP)

Hi,

Maybe an interesting question:

I am trying to email a distribution list but keep getting an error "too many recipients".

Is this a bug, or is it maybe an ISP setting which I have no control over?

Thanks,

m.q.

Thanks

Re: No. of Recipients (XP)

Are you sending them direct to your ISP, or to a local server such as Exchange?

There is almost certainly a maximum your ISP will allow in one hit - a simple anti-SPAM measure. It would be worth checking with them - I would have thought 50-100 would not be unreasonable.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I am sending to my ISP from a home dialup account.

It's funny 'cause some ISPs have this setting, others don't.

Actually I am not spamming people but running a legitimate mailing list.

So HOW does a Home User like myself run a mailing list of many people?? I know that solutions like Yahoo Egroups exist, but they put cheesy banners & you have to pay to remove them.

Thanks,

m.q.

Thanks

Sorry - certainly wasn't trying to infer that you were spamming.

Subject to refinements form more knowledgeable folks, my comments would be:

Thinking about it, there may be two issues here - the number of recipients in the To: header and the number of individual mails you are sending in one hit. If it is down to the number of recipients in the header, you need to find an alternative method of sending the mail - many servers will either choke on too many, or have filters set to cut them off after a certain number.
    The other thing to bear in mind is that if you are sending out an email with many recipients, you may be unneccesarily overloading the recipients. I have seen simple 1 line emails come in at 10K simply because there were 500+ recipients in the header.

I suspect the answer is to use mailing list software, but if you are in a position of not spending money, you are liable to get what you pay for. I believe our mail-server software (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://mdaemon.deerfield.com/>Mdaemon</A>) in it's simplest form, allows unlimited listing. (I'm not sure, but I think it can also get the ISP to do the distribution for you - i.e. you send 1 message and a list of names and the ISP creates the bulk mail.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.

Actually I wouldn't mind spending some money. I like the idea of this software. Pls. tell me where I can donwload trial version to experiment with them.

Thanks,

m.q.

Thanks

Click on the word MDaemon above - it's a link to their website.
    (Free 30-day trial.)

Thanks

To be even-handed, I should also point you to this post in the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=xserv&Number=48340&page=0&v iew=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&part=>Servers</A> Forum - there are other links there as well.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cheers.

These are mainly Server based solutions.
    Is there any mechanism for doing this from a normal home PC with client based software.

I imagine some neat little s/w exists where I just punch in the emails & it does the rest?

Maybe some addon for MSWord?

Thanks,

m.q.

Thanks

The term 'server' (certainly in respect of MDaemon) refers to the software - i.e. it does not need to be physically on a separate server, if that's what you mean. It should run on any 9x/NT4/W2K box.
    I would expect you to use it as an interface between your client (Outlook or whatever) and your ISP - it would handle all mail delivery and collection etc.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Funny you mention Yahoo Egroups... They may not be the distribution solution they once were. Apparently AOL has begun rejecting Egroups messages as spam and not delivering them. I don't know how permanent a situation this is, since I expect the negotiators and/or lawyers are at work to overcome this impasse.