Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security backend frontend (2003)

Stumped. I have a split database and have protected the frontend with user level security. I can not open the database without the shortcut(wrkgrp switch). It works fine. I either do the same with the backend and/or try to join the same group as the frontend. Now things have changed. If I double click either the front end or the backend I am prompted for a password-no shortcuts or switches needed. Secondly when I open the front end I am denied access to the backend.
    I've read and re-read many posts and can't seem to find what I'm doing wrong. I should mention that when I use the security wizard there is no user 'admin' or 'admins' but rather an 'administrator'.

Is there hope?

thanks
    nebbia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security backend frontend (2003)

Do you get prompted for a password only, as opposed to the login dialog prompting you for a username and password? If so, apparently a database-level password has been set.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A name and password box appear with the last access name filled in.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That would suggest that you have joined a protected workgroup information file (.mdw). If you have joined another workgroup information file than the one used to protect the databases, that would explain why you're denied access to the backend database. Try opening the database with a shortcut that specifies the correct .mdw file.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How tenuous my understanding.
    Yes I had tried to join the mdw group(from my backend that was created with my frontend. I started again and now have two mdw files residing in the respective folder for the frontend and for the backend. I can not open either FE or BE directly.
    Unfortunately when I open the frontend it says that I don't have permission for the backend.
    The workgroup administrator is for the same mdw file in my applicationdata/microsoft/access folder

thanks nebbia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The "standard" way to open a secured database is through a shortcut that specifies the secured .mdw file - see for example <post:=537,602>post 537,602</post:>. The frontend and backend should be secured using the same .mdw file.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is probably that you have two different .mdw files for frontend and backend. You should use the same one for both.

User-level security in Access consists of two parts:

1) The workgroup information file (.mdw) stores the names of users and groups, the passwords of users and the membership of groups.
    2) The database itself stores the permissions of users and groups on the database objects.

The database itself doesn't have an associated workgroup information file. In theory, it is possible to open a database with different workgroup files.

I fear that you may have to remove all security from the backend, then redo it using the same workgroup information file as the frontend.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps I am missing a step
    1.I created user level security for the FE A security.mdw file was created in the frontend folder
    2.I did the same thing for the BE. A second security.mdw file was created in the BE directory
    3.Both independently work fine
    4.on opening the frontend I am denied access to the backend
    5I changed the shortcut for both the FE and BE to point to the same security.mdw file-in the FE directory
    6.still denied access to the backend
    7.I haven't done anything through the workgroup administrator though both the frontend and backend seem to reference the same system5.mdw file
    8. perhaps as an aside what and how does the workgroup administrator work

Thanks as always

nebbia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I more than happy to try that but

when I create the security, thru the wizard, it doesn't give me the option of associating with a pre-existing mdw file it creates a new one
    when reference the same mdw for both the front and backend in the shortcut it doesn't work either
    Now every access file I open prompts for a password though they are not secured

nebbia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've noticed that when I'm asked for a file name for the mdw file I cannot change it. If I select browse and then go to the FE or any or mdw it says that it already exists and won't let me modify it. If this is how I am to connect to the same mdw for both the FE ad BE I may have isolated part of the problem

nebbia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are two ways you can work with a .mdw file:

1) You can join it through Tools | Security | Workgroup Administrator. If you do this, you will open *all* databases with the settings of the .mdw file (but the permissions for the user are still stored in the database itself).

or

2) You can open a database using a shortcut that specifies the workgroup security file.

During development it may be handy to join a .mdw temporarily. But in the end, it's better to join a plain vanilla .mdw and open all secured databases through a shortcut.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not doing a very good job of explaining the situation
    Each file has its own security and its own mdw file. Both work well independently
    I am denied permission to the backend when the frontend is opened with the shortcut
    I've changed the shortcut on the backend to point to the same mdw file as the front end uses with exactly the same result.

I don't seem to be able to get the necessary permissions to use the backend through the frontend despite trying both the mdw file created with the wizard and by changing the shortcut mdw file
    i.e. "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice12MSACCESS.EXE" "C:FEest.mdb" /WRKGRP "C:FESecurity.mdw" for the front end and
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice12MSACCESS.EXE" "C:BEBE.mdb" /WRKGRP "C:FESecurity.mdw"

What am I missing

nebbia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can only repeat myself now, so I suggest that you reread my previous replies. If that doesn't help, I hope that someone else can assist.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I follow your suggestions and advice very carefully. If I could impose please take one more look as I don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should either
    (A) use an unsplit database, apply the security wizard, then split it into a frontend and backend,
    or
    ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] forego the use of the security wizard for either the frontend or the backend or both, and apply user-level security manually instead, since you need to use the same .mdw for both.

Hopefully someone else will be able to explain this better than I have been able to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast