4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Screen size (Outlook 2003 SP2)

I'm using Outlook 2003 SP2 with Vista, and a two screen set-up. I have the reading pane set-up on the right.

When I have Outlook open, but not maximised, I can drag the reading pane to the right over onto my second screen. This gives me a lovely wide view of the main inbox area, and my reading pane sitting nicely on its own ion the second screen. I like this set-up, and it works for me.

However each time I close Outlook, the reading pane appears acouple of centimetres wide on the right hand side of my first screen, and I have to drag it over again.

Does anyone know if there are any Registry settings that would save the windows size and positions on closing Outlook?

Colin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Screen size (Outlook 2003 SP2)

Hi Colin... not sure of any registry and never had the pleasure of owning/using two monitors, but there is a little known feature with Outlook that will open two windows when launched. Maybe you would find this helpful.

If you right-click on the Inbox and choose Open in New Window and customize the new window to turn off the Navigation pane and make the Inbox area as small as possible, you would then have mostly a reading pane displaying. Choose File, Exit from the menu - do not click on the x to close the application. The next time you launch Outlook, it will open both windows. Most people I show this to, usually want to launch their Inbox and Calendar at the same time.

Hope this helped... trish

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I run XP and Outlook 2003 and dual monitors and do not have the problem you mention. That is, on reopening Outlook the reading pane reappears as it was when I closed the application. I did not do anything special to make this happen. I have the reading pane on the left, but that should not be of any consequence.
    Maybe it is a Vista issue.

Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Trish

Never heard that one before, and I like the idea of using the calendar and email at the same time as you suggest. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for my need as the two windows don't synchronize. So If I select an email in one screen, it doesn't appear in the reading pane on the other (at least on my system).

But I like the tip anyway, and will use it.

Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Paul

My system also stores the window size & position, provided it is not spread over two screens. Does yours do it if spread?

I know there is a windows setting that controls how the two windows screens work together. I need to look at that.

Colin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Colin,
    My screen sizes and positions are retained no matter where over the two screens they are placed. It literally works as if one large screen.

Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Colin

<hr>Unfortunately, it doesn't work for my need as the two windows don't synchronize. So If I select an email in one screen, it doesn't appear in the reading pane on the other (at least on my system).<hr>

This behavior is not correct. If you click on an e-mail it should appear in the reading pane no matter where it is located. Have you followed all the rules for the dual monitor setup in Vista? I do not have Vista, so I cannot be specific about what to check.

How do your non Office applications work when you spread their windows over two monitors. Do they remember their positions after shutting down and reopening?

Paul