3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Upload into AS400 (Excel 2002)

Hello!
    I have a macro that massages some external downloaded data into an internal upload friendly format. This data contains the credit cardholder name, description of what he bought, who he bought it from, the amount, and a several other columns of data. When we upload this data into our own AS400 system it is recognizing most of the data as "UNICODE" and it needs to be formatted as "CHARACTER", thus causing someone to have to manually change each column to be defined as "CHARACTER" in the uploading file transfer process. I'm wondering if there is a way to write some VBA code in my Excel spreadsheet to make all columns (with the exception of some of the amount columns) be formatted as "CHARACTER" before we attempt to upload?? I'm also wondering if anyone know what UNICODE means??
    Thanks!
    Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Upload into AS400 (Excel 2002)

I cannot help you with your main question.

Traditionally, a text character is encoded in 1 byte (8 bits) in a computer; this allows for a maximum of 2^8 = 256 different characters. This is sufficient for Western languages, but it becomes a problem if you also want to handle other scripts such as Arabic, Chinese and Hebrew. Enter Unicode - a way of encoding characters in 2 bytes (16 bits). See the Wikipedia entry.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Upload into AS400 (Excel 2002)

An alternative approach is to convert your downloaded data before going into Excel. EditPad Lite, for example, can do this if I remember correctly. http:// www.editpadpro.com/
    There is a free version of the pro program.

Paul