Lounger
    Thanks

Blocked Software Installation (Vista Home Premium)

G'day:
    I have had the "pleasure" of getting my new Vista machine going - mostly OK. I followed the advice of others and turned off UAC. I am the Administrator. This allowed an uneventful installtion of Adobe Creative Suite2, which seems to run well.
    The difficulty is that when I try to download Acrobat Reader 8 from the Adobe site, I can get it as far as the desktop. Windows Installer begins to install it and then stops with an error message that I don't have permission to write to the TEMP file.

It appears that Administrator privileges on Home Premium are not sufficient to do this. A Microsoft KB paper suggested looking for a file "secpol.msc". It turned out that this is not part of Home Premium.

I can't believe that this is the way it's intended to be.

Can anyone advise how to coax Vista into allowing the download and installation of programs that the Administrator wishes to install?

Thanks,

Ed

Thanks

Re: Blocked Software Installation (Vista Home Premium)

From what I've read, you cannot install Reader 8 with UAC disabled. Re-enable UAC, right click the Reader installer, and select "Run as administrator.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"I followed the advice of others and turned off UAC"

Not here, my advice is to leave it ON and learn to use the system as it was designed to be run. There is more than one level of Admin permissions as you found out and you will continue to find them and will be prevented from doing things that you need to do.

TURN back ON the UAC and enjoy the protection it gives you.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

G'day:

I found that if you d/l Reader 8, then select "compatibilty" and then select, say, XP SP2, that I can install it without difficulty. The "sad realization" that Reader 8, that was supposed to be Vista compatible, didn't install smoothly. I suppose that this may be more of an Adobe issue than a Vista issue.

Thanks for the comments.

Ed

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I just down loaded version 8, then ran it, gave UAC permission to install and all went well. No selecting any compatibilty, just the OK's for location and etc.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I've had a similar problem with one of my Vista machines. Both are new and were built with Vista Home Premium. One is an HP desktop; the other a Gateway laptop. Both machines run with Norton 360 (I suspect this may be an important detail). I've installed Adobe Reader 8.0 on the HP with no problem, and as I write this on the laptop, I'm installing ver 8.1 on the other machine.

I've had absolutely zero luck installing Adobe Reader 8.1 on the laptop. I've tried...let's see...six times, I believe, and I get the same results every time. The full file downloads successfully (something like 23 MB). Then, at the last instant, I see something about how the download was interrupted. The download window sits there telling me, "Installation pending...." Minutes go by, and nothing happens. The first few times I tried this, I was using a wireless Internet connection at a campground. I attributed the troubles to a poor connection. But the same thing is happening at home with a very strong, reliable connection.

Suggestions? By the way, what is UAC?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Lucas,

I'm going to guess that the trouble you have been having downloading/installing Acrobat Reader 8.x is similar if not exactly what I went through. Thanks to Tony, I was able to download and then install it without issue by simply downloading the .exe file from here: Acrobat Reader 8.1 English, and then manually installing it.

What the others have said about UAC needing to be enabled is true as well when you install AR.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you! Worked like a champ!