2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Convert String to Formula (XP SP3)

Hello everybody,

I am facing a new problem, from which I do not know whether there is a ready made solution already, or if I have to do it on my own. So here it is: Imagine you have a userform with a textfield where the user may enter an equation (e.g. "=0.5*(x-2)^2+2*x-3"). Naturally, I can access this equation as a text string and store it in a variable. I now need to find a way to convert it into an equation I can work with in my code. I know that I could use the Evaluate-command to get this solved for such relatively simple examples. Unfortunately, the formula can become much more complex, including a higher number of variables than only "x". I somehow need to find out what are the variables and how they are linked together. Has someone done s.th. like this before? Is there a built in function I yet did not recognize?
    Any comments on this would be highly appreciated. It would also be very helpful if someone had a source where to find more information about this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Convert String to Formula (XP SP3)

See Software Download for free add-ins, among which a 'Class Math Expression Parser' and a 'Fast Formula Evaluator for EXCEL'.

Alternatively, try the free Power Calculator from Microsoft (Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP). It can evaluate symbolic expressions.

Or get Maple or Mathematica

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans,

thank you for the resources. It seems that the Math Expression Parser could be used (though it seems to handle more than I need ;-)). Unfortunately, the given alternatives aren't really ones, since I am bound to Excel for this task.
    So thanks again!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, your alternative seems to be to write VBA code to parse the expression yourself. That is going to be a very complex undertaking. I would suggest that you start by finding a book/atricle on "Reverse Polish Notation". Wikipedia might be a good start.
    Legare Coleman