2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Number Data Type (2003)

This is probably an easy question, but here goes. What is the best way to store the number "01" in Access, specifically a number field. Currently, I only get "1" to display, so I had to switch my data type to text to display "01". As always, any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Number Data Type (2003)

It depends on what you want. If you may want to perform calculations with the number, it's best to store it in a number field. You can set the Format property of the field in the table and/or the Format property of a text box bound to the field on a form or report to 00 (i.e. two zeros). Access will store the values as 3 or 37 etc., but they will be displayed with a leading zero if necessary: 03, 37.
    If the field is basically a text field that happens to look like a number, you can use a text field. It will store the values exactly as entered, and there is no check that the value can be converted to a number - a value such as O3 (with a letter O instead of the digit 0) would be accepted too.