3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copy CD (Windows Vista Home Premium)

On Dell's advice, I removed the Roxio software installed with my OEM software. The technician told me it was known to cause a conflict. As a result, I have been learning to use Windows software to burn CDs. This morning, I wanted to copy an audio CD I originally created by ripping the tracks from old 78 records (remember those, anyone?).

It became incredibly difficult for me. I finally copied the tracks into the Music Library in Windows Media Center, then burned a CD. Surely, there is an easier way to copy a CD. I have two CD/DVD drives in my new computer.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Copy CD (Windows Vista Home Premium)

Was this a new Dell machine with Vista?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes. I bought an Inspiron E1505 and a Dimension E520. Both have Vista Home Premium version installed from the factory.
    I'm leaving for college and won't be home for about five hours but I'll be anxious to have your reply.
    thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Why would DELL have you remove software that they installed?

You really need a third party software to do what you want.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

I doubt that Dell recommended the removal of the complete Roxio package (although that's possible). The "Drag to Disk" application is known to cause problems but there is a fix for that. Maybe some misunderstanding here?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Misunderstanding is always a possibility. The technician I spoke with was very uncertain about Vista, but he clearly told me to uninstall all of Roxio. Perhaps I can take a chance and reinstall in, deleting only Drag to Disc???

Thanks

If it is version 9, I'd give it a try Barbara. There is a fix for the drag to disk feature (have a look here ), but Vista has its own built in "drag to disk". I bought the full retail version of Roxio 9 but I removed the DLA app from starting automatically when Windows boots.
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I will try re-installing Roxio from my Dell CD. I don't know what version it is, but I should be able to check. Can I uninstall ONLY Drag to Disk?

From the replies I received, I'm assuming there is no way to simply "Copy CD" in the Windows software. I tried Media Player and Media Center and tried to research on the Web. I have much better luck finding real answers right here in Woody's Lounge than anywhere else!

Thanks

Re-install, get the patch and then simply stop DLA from running at startup (using msconfig) rather than trying to uninstall it.
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, John,
    I thought you might be interested in the follow-up to my "copy CD" problem. I decided to take your advice and re-install Roxio and apply the patch. When I searched the CDs furnished with my new computers, I couldn't find anything for Roxio. I contacted Dell and spent almost 2 hours Internet chatting with the extremely polite technician. He definitely advised against re-installing Roxio citing the conflict that I had experienced previously on both new Vista computers.

After trying to use Media Player to copy a CD without placing the contents of the original CD on my computer, he realized that it wasn't possible. Then he advised he knew of good software to copy cds and (with my permission) proceeded to download a trial version of Nero 7.

Of course, Nero will copy CDs, I was using Nero 6 before buying the new computers. I asked what was going to happen when the 15-day trial expired, and he advised that I could buy Nero 7! Duh!

We ended with his promise to send me a Roxio CD when Microsoft had a good patch for the problem. All in all, a very unsatisfactory conclusion.

Copying CDs is not a big issue with me; I don't do it often. Most of what I do can easily be done with the Vista software...I'm just not very happy with the conclusion.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I should add that I was up until 2:00 a.m. with this technician, so I'm probably a little testy this morning.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Novice,

You might want to take a look at: AShampoo Burning Studio 6.5. It is less than 1/3 the cost of Nero, which admittedly is the most recommended, albeit now bloated to the hilt, hehe. I haven't yet tried it myself, but I do know others who have and they are very satisfied with it. The only thing it lacks, it seems is a packet writer to format "RW" media, but Vista is now able to do that inhouse.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks

Well, from what I've read, the Roxio software is supposed to be on the Upgrade Assistant DVD in a folder called "Roxio MyDVD9 DE". There should be a "setup" file there. If you can't find it, you can call support and get the CD (see Dell-Bill's answer) sent to you.

I'm not surprised that Dell's tech support are not always getting the right answers. They are being inundated with calls from customers who are having trouble with the Vista upgrade, and I'm sure they are tearing their hair out. If you can find the Roxio software (or if you get the CD from Dell), look here for the DLA patch.
    John