Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Desktop printing - vertical compression (Pro SP2)

Someone at a remote site is Remote Desktop-ing into a PC locally, and wishes to print 3x7 (Avery label type L7160, for A4) labels on the printer attached to the remote site's PC.

However, the printout is becoming vertically compressed, so that all the address text lines creep slightly up the page, and at the bottom only a couple of address lines print on the lowest label. The same happens when I turn the label layout page into a grid of lines, and just print this page from Word.

I've looked in all the usual places, checked that the stationery type is A4 not Letter, that there isn't a 'fit on page' compression option set, and so on.

The printer (HP LaserJet 1100) is defined on both the local and the remote PCs.

Just hoping for any further ideas regarding what to check...

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Remote Desktop printing - vertical compression

Can you clarify:

The vertical spacing is being compressed upwards AND there are lines missing from the end?
    i.e. Text from label 7 is encroaching on label 6 (counting from the top) AND not all of label 7 text is being printed?

Does the missing text appear on a page 2?
    Is Word being used?
    Have you tried comparing the two printer drivers? - and/or loading the same driver to each machine?
    Have you tried (re)setting the printing 'preferences' at the time of print?
    What do you see in Print preview?

Presumably it is not practical to physically take the printer to the remote site and see if the problem is duplicate locally?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I had the "creeping labels" problem exactly as you describe once. However it had nothing to do with remote access. The printer was a local Brother laser and downloading a more recent set of drivers made the problem go away. The labels I was using were Avery 5160 letter size and I had the problem with both WordPerfect and Word 2000, which is what led me to suspect the printer driver(s). No help, I know, but that's all I can think of.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Remote Desktop printing - vertical compression (Pro SP2)

Have you already looked at some of the links from Search The Knowledge Base? Are both PCs running XP Pro SP-2?

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, the distinction between local and remote is hard to put across clearly!

Remote office: cheapo PC running Pro SP2, with directly-attached HP Laserjet 1100, using RDP 5.2 to access...
    Local office: posh and expensive PC running Pro SP2, more or less as if it was a Terminal Server

Word MailMerge runs on the local office's PC, and is sent back to the remote office's PC for printing on the directly-attached HP LaserJet 1100.

The labels are just progressively shunted slightly up the page, so that for the final label row, only the last couple of address lines are printed on the final (7th) label, with the upper part of the name-and-address right at the bottom of the sixth row of labels. If the physical paper was 11
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Last time I saw a problem like this it was caused by the printer having mechanical problems feeding the paper.
    Can you try printing the labels on good quality plain A4 paper and use a ruler to see if they are in the right place on the page.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I got the user to print the label grid on ordinary paper, and there was a significant gap at the bottom. I don't think it's a paper-feed problem, but I may need to visit the office to make sure...

Thanks

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

A bit more information.

By printing the Windows XP Printer Test Page on both PCs, I find some driver differences (I've not reproduced all the similarities):

REMOTE-OFFICE PC (where the user is)<pre>Driver name: UNIDRV.DLL
    Data file: HPLJ1100.GPD
    Driver version 5.00
    Additional files used by this driver:
    C:WINDOWSSystem32spoolDRIVERSW32X863PCL5ERES.DLL (5.2.3790.120 (srv03_qfe.031205-1652)
    C:WINDOWSSystem32spoolDRIVERSW32X863UNIRES.DLL (5.2.3790.120 (srv03_qfe.031205-1652)</pre>

LOCAL-OFFICE PC (the PC being Remote Desktop-ped to)<pre>Driver name: UNIDRV.DLL
    Data file: HPLJ1100.GPD
    Driver version 6.00
    Additional files used by this driver:
    C:WINDOWSSystem32spoolDRIVERSW32X863PCL5ERES.DLL (5.2.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)
    C:WINDOWSSystem32spoolDRIVERSW32X863UNIRES.DLL (6.0.5824.16384 (winmain(wmbla).060911-0725))</pre>

Can anyone say how I make the drivers on the Remote-Office PC the same as those on the Local-Office PC? It should be that both PCs are at the same XP Pro patch level above SP2...

Thanks

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Presumably you have tried downloading the 'latest' driver from HP at <A target="_blank" HREF="http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=14925&lang=en&cc=us& prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25470&taskId=135">
    HP LaserJet 1100 Printer series - Download drivers and software</A>?

Otherwise, I'd be tempted to use / try another driver that works - e.g. I use the standard HPLJ4 driver for our LJ4/LJ2100 etc for consistent printouts...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Indeed yes, but the driver file dates from May 2002 and only includes stuff starting HP, not the UNIDRV stuff.

I suppose I should be looking for a fix which updates the Universal Printer Driver, but applying the Dependency Walker to UNIDRVUI.DLL shows tens of modules dependent on it!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

What happens if you delete the printer, then re-install it as a network printer? Does it copy over the (remote) drivers?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I [/i]may[/i] be able, from my desk, to remote desktop to the remote office's PC and delete the printer. It should then be re-added when the user connects into the local-office PC. We shall see, tomorrow...

Thanks

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...