3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SEARCH function not working (Wndows XP)

I have an annoying problem on my laptop with Windows XP Home edition.

I use SEARCH in Windows Explorer quite a lot. However, on my laptop it won't activate. When using Windows Explorer the SEARCH button on at the top does nothing, as is the case with pressing <CTRL>F. Use either method to try and start a SEARCH and nothing happens.

I've just completeD a full up to date Norton system scan and a Spyware Doctor scan, with both showing the system has no viruses or spyware at all.

This laptop is a convenience computer only. I have no major files or programs on it that I have any concern over loosing. It have it solely to use for web browsing, doing a little writing and taking on trips out of town to stay in touch. Anything fo importance I create on it immeditately gets transferred to my main office computer.

Windows XP Home is up to date with automatic updates as well.

Any suggestions other then an XP CD repair or reinstall? I've searched through Google and Woody's archives and haven't found much.

Thanks,
    BH

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SEARCH function not working (Wndows XP)

Have you used Tweak-XP or similar to 'Hide "Search"' (from the Classic Start Menu)? Apparently, this also makes the Explorer Search button not to work. If you're comfortable with regedit use it and see if you can find the following entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionPoliciesExplorerNoFind

If "NoFind" has the value "01 00 00 00" change it to "00 00 00 00" and it will probably solve your problem. You will need to restart ("log off & log in" will probably suffice).

Alan (paraphrased from Search not working in XP)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try this:

- Open Windows Explorer.
    - Navigate to C:WINDOWSINF.
    - Locate the SRCHASST.INF file.
    - Right-click this file and select Install from the popup menu.

You may be prompted to insert your Windows CD.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are also two scripts at Kelly's Korner at Line 15 for enabling and disabling Search Assistant. Don't know if it would fix Windows Explorer.

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,

I tried the INSTALL of Srchasst.inf but that did not fix the problem. Alan's suggestion of editing the registry did fix it though. And I had put TweakUI on the laptop and made some changes. Seemed easier just to edit the Registry then dig into the TweakUI settings. One has to be careful with TweakUI I have discovered!

Thank you !!

BH