Thread: DEP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DEP

I'm getting a problem with Data Execution Prevention closing Windows Explorer every time I boot. I've recently upgraded ZoneAlarm Security Suite to the latest version (7.0.337.00), so this may have instigated the phenomenon. I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Re: DEP

A couple of leads to follow:

tek-tips.com

and

windowshelp.microsoft.com - see the "What should I do if DEP is closing a program that

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your suggestions, Leif. Following them up, I've tried running SFC and deleted a couple of programs that could have been the culprit. So far, DEF problem with Windows Explorer remains. As a more drastic measure I tried to restore XP Home to several earlier dates, but the restore process failed in each case. I then used MS's suggestions to verify that System Restore is running - does seem to be. Is there some other way to get the restore function back in action?

Thanks

To be honest, I've (never needed to have) used SR - hopefully some else can jump in with their experience!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Nick, I don't know whether anything over here duplicates Leif's links but this is the only thing I could find here in The Lounge about DEP and it's almost two years old. But, the thread does make for an interesting read, including the fact that his problem was solved: <post:=475,417>post 475,417</post:>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

No help on your DEP problem (and I don't know if using SR is the only way) yet.

For SR trouble; do you get any error message? Do you have any Norton product installed? If so take a look at my <post:=631,597>post 631,597</post:>. Since Norton protects its files, a restore isn't possible until one turn off Norton protection.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Al. Once again I'm in your debt :-)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Argus. I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite, but your comment makes we wonder whether turning off ZA make him. Will let you know.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have discovered from the ZoneAlarm forum that the latest version (to which I've recently upgraded) can give rise to this problem. Other users have resorted the workaround of reverting to an earlier version. I'm currently awaiting a response from Zone Labs Technical Support and in case it's useful to others will post the result if successful.