New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Save (Word 2003 in XP sp2)

Hi; I can no longer save documents. The first composition after the document is opened goes through the normal seeming save routine - Choose the name for the save, make sure its saved as doc. then click on save. Upon returning to the document, though and trying to add to what is written then using the Control>p command iI get the message that I can't save the addition because of a lack of permission or lack of file space. I'm the administrator and have never done anything about restrictions.There are more than 5gb available on the hard drive. Then I try to open the part that was originally saved and get about 1/2 of a screen full of little empty squares with only the occasional letter showing. This also happens when I try to open documents that ahve been in the system or a while. This Word 2003 is an upgrade from Word 2000, and none of those files seem to have the problem nor did this ever happen. I'm going to need to transfer everything to Vista Ultimate within the next couple of weeks and I'd hate to take this problem with me. Everything else about the 2003 version seems to work without dificulty, but these goings on make the whole thing essentially worthless. In the header of it is File Conversions with 3 choices and a box with code names. Choices are Windows(Default), MS DOS, and Other Encoding. With the first two opitons the codes are greyed out and with Other Choices they'enabled. I've tried selecting various code types, like US English, European English and the like and the only changes I see are that there might be three of four more conventional letters visible. At the far left of the toolbar there's an icon that looks like a sheet of paper; at the bottom right of it there's a red circle with a line through it. When I click on this the surrounding square or hover the pointer over it turns orange and "Permission-Unrestricted Access" appears. Then if I click on it a large dialog box opens with something about I SIgn Up on the blue header above Information Rights Management and there's a lot of talk about a free trial with an offer to either use it or not as two choices toward the bottom. and the option to cancel. With either one when I then click on the red X to close the box or click on Cancel the large box goes away and "Cannot use this Feature Without Permission" shows up with an OK button below the writing. when the OK is clicked on the orange surround on that top left icon reverts to white. Also, during all this the mouse becomes very unresponsive - it'll move but very sluggishly.
    What inthe world is going on here? How do I get rid of of it so that Word behaves as it should? Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to get in as many details as possible to help with a diagnosis. Thanks in advance for the help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Save (Word 2003 in XP sp2)

That looks like a whole bunch of problems. It seems as if Word tries to open Word documents as if they're plain text files.

Try this first:
    - Close all instances of Word (and Outlook, if you use Word as mail editor in Outlook)
    - Select Start | Run...
    - Type <code>winword /r</code> and press Enter.

If this doesn't help. try Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

Also: do you scan your PC regularly for viruses, spyware etc.?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Hans, I've come to think that all has something about a trial program of some sort of "Ihformation Rights Management.) At the bottom there are two choices'I want to participate in the trial or I don't want to participate. I havent said yes yet but when I click on no The 3/4 screen goes away and there's a small one saying "you have to have Credentials to use this, and like I said earlier the bad saves say something about permission being needed and it can't complete the save without permission. To say that this is an annoyance is an inderstatement.
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you to say thanks for the ealier feedback but there was some sort of confusion about user names and passwords. I think all that is cleared up now. Thank you in advance on this one, but I'll try nnot to let this be the only time that i say it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See if you can get rid of the trial program - is it listed in the Add/Remove Programs control panel?

Have you tried the steps from my previous reply?

New Lounger
    Thanks

HI, Its been a while but this is Chuck again with more of a question about the question fo saving things in Word 2003. The program that seems to be causing the problem is either Windows Rights Management Client Backwards Compatibility SP2, or the one that's just under it on the add delete page - Windows Rights Management Client With Service Pack 2. I tried deleting the first one - I didn't notice the second one at the time - and was denied "permission" to do anything. How can I either get rid of the whole plague or give myself and the other user full permission for anything. I have no reason to doubt either one of us and this thing is a major annoyance. So you see, Hans It does exist and is on the add/delete page. Oh yeah, while the thing was deleted I was offered the chance to download as something beneficial, and I did it just so that I wouldn't be completely locked out. I can store the first bit of a file and retrieve it, but am not allowed to open it again. I I open a really old file it lets me see it and make additions/alterations, but then tells me that I don't have permission to save it when I want to let it be for a time. Even if I do it under the original file name. What's happening here and how do I get rid of it so that Word will work as smoothly as it used to ? Thanks in advance for your help. Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You still haven't told us whether you tried the "systematic approach" I posted a link to higher up in this thread.