New Lounger
    Thanks

Linked-to images become embedded when 'wrapped'? (Word 2003 SP2)

I've been adding linked-to images ("pictures") into a large Word document, replacing a set of previous illustrations that were embedded. All the images are JPEGs.

With most of the new images, the only formatting I add - once they're linked within Word - is to scale them down so that they fit the page better (Format Picture > Size > Scale : Height). This does not cause any problems.

However, I've formatted a small subset of images so that the text wraps around them (Format Picture > Layout > Wrapping Style : Square). As soon as I apply this particular formatting, the images seem to become embedded! If I toggle field codes using Alt-F9, the former group of images appear as field codes, while the latter images stay as is - i.e. fully visible as images.

Does adding a wrapping style to an image convert it into a graphic object (or something else)? Is this a bug? And is there any way around it? I'm trying to keep the document file size as small as possible; but now it seems I'm facing a choice between inserting my images without text wrapping and the prospect of creeping document bloat.

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linked-to images become embedded when 'wrapped'? (Word 2003 SP2)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

It's just a matter of display. Word can only display the INCLUDEPICTURE field code if the picture is inline. If you set it to floating, it will remain linked, but you won't be able to see the field code any more. But if you select Edit | Links..., you'll see it listed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phew ... that's a relief!

And thank you for your quick reply - it is much appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I now have a related question.

I need to move several chapters - each with its linked-to folder of images - to a different location on the server. The links will all break.

How can I quickly and easily update the links for the images? I can toggle fields and search/replace the name of the new path on some of the images - no problem. But the ones that don't display (because of the above quirk) pose more of a problem. I don't want to have to Edit > Links, then manually select the new image in its new location. For one thing, that knocks out the picture formatting (resizing, right-alignment and line-around-image)... and to have to recreate all those would be a real headache.

I'm sure there must be a simple way to do this, but I haven't found it yet.

Can you kindly help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks