3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Display etc. (Vista Home Premium)

New computer: still playing with all it's new Vista toys. A couple of things: 1. I've got "Display" set so that the monitor should shut down after 20 minutes, and the computer after 2 hours. It does it some of the times, and often doesn't seem to do it. Is there something I don't understand? (I realize that if Outlook is open, with regular mail checks, that this may prevent the "countdown." 2. How do you make the scroll bars larger: it was easy in XP and before by simply right clicking the desktop, but I don't find it anywhere here in Vista. 3.When it did go to sleep and when attached to a firewire external hard drive, vista crashed. There was a message saying to download a particular patch (929762), but when I try it, it says it doesn't apply to this system.

Thanks folks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Display etc. (Vista Home Premium)

1.) It all depends on activity on the system. There could be something running in the background that will keep the PC active. Check out the task manager. BTW, who made the PC? Many vendors load a lot of garbage on systems. You could go to their support forum and search around. 2.) Most likely if you could do it in XP you can still do it in Vista. You just need to find where. When you right click on the desktop select Personalize. Then look for similar wording to what you were doing in XP. 3.) You may already have the patch applied. Check Windows Update and the View update history link on the left. If you have not applied the fix already make sure you download the version for your system. If you are running 32-bit vista you can install the 64-bit patch and vice versa.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe: You're right about the patch: when I went into the update history, idt had been installed, even though the system said it didn't apply. The system is an HP and usually task manager shows no unexpected programs running: only those I'd opened. I have to check this, but I think that the garage door opener and garage door (automatic) may set it off [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]. As to Personalize: no I haven't been able to fine it.

kdoc

Thanks

To change the width of the scroll bar:

- right click Desktop, select "Personalize"

- select "Window Color and Appearance"

- select "Open classic appearance properties for more color options"

- in "Appearance Settings" window select "Advanced"

- in "Advanced Appearance" window select "Scrollbar" in "Item:" dropdown list

- adjust "Size" to taste

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeh, just before receiving hyour post I found it another way, by going into condtrol panel--Ease of Access Center--Make easier to read--Fine tune display effects--and you end up at the same place.

Thanks

kdoc