2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

error (Access2003)

Today I ran into an error that I dont have a clue about fixing. The two tables FAMILY and PERSON are linked by the family number. While working today in a PERSON record I suddenly had the field filled with #error. Have had this in making new forms where there was a misspelling or reference to a missing field but never in the middle of data entry. Now, I am sure I typed something wrong but I didnt have a chance to track down the error and the form would not close each time it told me there was an error; I clicked OK (since it would not let me do anything else) and it put the error message in another field! I tried when I finally got the message box closed to undo some of what was done but could not. I closed the form and thought I would go to the family record ( in the form at the front end database) and fix the entry but now, can not pull up any of the person or the family although all the persons still exist in the PERSON table-- the family is gone from the FAMILY table and all fields replaced with #error. Thought I could delete the error and type back into the system the correct info on the family-- nope could not delete and could not add that family as the database recognizes it as a duplicate-- can anyone help me here? I am at a loss and have LOTS of data entry work to finish the weekend. Oh, sadly, the auto back up already copied the damaged file to the back up.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: error (Access2003)

Have you tried a compact and repair, it sounds like a corruption to me.

If that doesn't solve the problem, i would create a replacement table for Family and copy all records except for the corrupted one. Then rename the table Family to FamilyXXX and rename the created table as Family. You may to to de-establish and re-establish the relationships.

If all ok after this delete the corrupt table.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for a quick answer-- I had considered compact and repair but was worried that I would make things worse-- do you know what will happen to that family record if I do the compact and repair-- I dont have a clue so decided to ask advice first. If that wont make things even worse--I will follow your advice and let you know.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Make a backup copy of the database before trying Compact and Repair Database. Even if Compact and Repair messes up things, you can still go back to the copy.

If Compact and Repair encounters a problem, it'll create a table named MSysCompactError that provides details about the problem.