3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

true vector problems (xp -current)

This morning I got a msg saying Zone Alarm needed updates - I said ok while that was happening I got a message from "Spyware Dr" saying it needed to be updated - I replied ok
    Since then nothing has worked - I have sent at least a dozen messages to microsoft reporting some type of true vector problems msg "TrueVector Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I am sure the clash between "Zone Alarm" and "Spyware Dr" caused the problems, but I haven't been able to recover

ZA won't install because it says it can't access true vector and I am pretty sure that SD has taken over system - ctl-alt-del shows system bouncing between 0 % and 90+%

I am relatively new to xp - converted from 2000

I think there is a way to fall back to an earlier point, but I don't know how to do it - can someone give me a few words about falling back so I can try to get back to stable system

Thanks in advance

Tom

Thanks

Re: true vector problems (xp -current)

Tom,
    True Vector is a Zone Alarm program, not Microsoft. So, asking MS about it will probably not get any response beyond maybe telling you to contact ZoneLabs.

I would go to the ZONE ALARM site and download the latest version, then uninstall the existing version of ZA using "AddRemove" in Control Panel.
    Install the new version you just downloaded and that should take care of the problem.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks I will try that - I dug out the manuals and tried to do a system restore to yesterday - but got a message saying it could not restore to yesterday because it could not find anything changed

Tom

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bob
    I have tried two different approaches to uninstall ZA- Pro and I get an error message saying it can't uninstall because some other program / process is using true vector and I need to shut it down before I can uninstall

I am going to check startup cop and see if I can kill ZA so it doesn't try to start on a reboot, other than that I don't know where to go from here

Tom

Thanks

Tom,
    There should be an ZA icon in your system tray on the lower right. If you right click on it, then click "Shutdown Zone Alarm".

OR,
    you can go to Start>Run and type in msconfig, you will bring up a screen with a startup tab on the right.
    Open the tab and look down the list of startups and UNCHECK any mention of True Vector or Zone Alarm.
    Reboot.
    ZA should not be started.
    The do the UNinstall.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

startup cop worked - za did not start and I was able to uninstall and then fall back - lost all of my old za settings, but that's ok

tried to go to za web site to report the problem, but they make it very difficult unless you pay $$ for support - just wanted to tell them that I had major problems with ZAPsetup_70_337_000_en.exe

I fell back to ZAPsetup_65_737_000_en.exe

I will hang around their web site and see if any body else bellyaches in their user forum

If this doesn't solve the problem, I'll be back

Thanks for help

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just some food for thought for the future, Tom. I try NEVER to allow on-line updates to software on my system. I prefer to go to the site and download the software myself, for whatever the version is. The reason I got started doing this a long time ago was because if you allow on-line updates and ever need to have the software on hand to re-install or install on another machine, you usually won't have it. Since that time, like you, I've had problematic installs as you did and further confirmed my strategy, in MY mind anyway. I haven't had any trouble with ZA, but I always go to the site and download whatever the notice tells me the latest version is.