New Lounger
    Thanks

'Image Document' object not found (1.0)

Previously I was using access database (With windows 98 OS)for an application which stores photo in an OLE field through web camera.User had to select "Image document" object during capture of photo. After upgrading my OS to XP we are not getting "Image document" object. Can anybody help me ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Image Document' object not found (1.0)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

You haven't mentioned which version of Access you are using. In Access 2003 and earlier, it is not a good idea store images in an OLE field in a table. Images cause tremendous file size bloat, since Access will store an uncompressed bitmap image in addition to the original format. Instead of an OLE field, use a text field to store the path and name of the image file. You can display the images on a form or report using an unbound Image control. See the attachment to <post#=296892>post 296892</post#> for an example of how to handle images.

In Access 2007, storage of images in a database has been radically improved, but I don't have Access 2007 yet, so I haven't tried it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.My Application was in Access 97 on Windows 98. Now I have upgraded to Access 2000 on Windows XP after which the probleb has started.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For Access 2000 I seriously recommend you not to store images in a database. As an example, take full color images of 640 x 480 pixels. As a .jpg, such an image takes up some 75 KB, but as a bitmap 900 KB. Access will store both in the database, so that amounts to almost 1 MB for each picture!
    It's best to store the images from the webcam as files on hard disk, and to use the method demonstrated in the post I referred to. This will keep the size of the database small, while you can still view the pictures on forms and reports.