Thanks

Large Mail Search Folder (Outlook '03 and '07)

In Outlook '03 and '07, there is a search folder named "Large Mail". I have seen this but never really paid attention to it until this morning when I noticed how large it had become (# of e-mails). I decided to empty it, but before I did I searched Microsoft to learn about it. Interesting but nothing to write home about. After reading about it, I then decided to empty that folder. That was a huge mistake. I did the Select All, then delete. Luckily before I cleaned out the Deleted Items folder I looked, and noticed that a particularly important e-mail that I sent this morning was in there so I checked my Sent folder and saw that it wasn't in there. Apparently when you empty the Large Mail folder, it also pulls that e-mail from the mail folders themselves. I went back to Microsofts Office page, and there is no mention of that.
    Fortunetly I have back up upon backup and didnt loose anything important, but I could have!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Large Mail Search Folder (Outlook '03 and '07)

Search folders are virttual folders - they show you items from real folders that match certain criteria. They are a handy way to view mails from multiple folders together. "Large mail" is one ot those virtual folders - it displays the largest e-mails in your mail box in one list, whatever folder they are in. But the e-mails still reside in the original folders. See the 'Search Folders' section in Introducing Microsoft Office Outlook 2003.

Thanks

Right! That is why I don't understand why that happened, and the mystery continues with this article: Search Folders
    To me that makes no sense. What they are saying is that I can delete that entire Search folder and nothing happens to the mail in my regular folders, but if I delete an e-mail from the search folder it also deletes it from my regular folders. I guess that there is some logic to it somewhere. I think what I am going to do is just eliminate that search folder all together.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Think of a virtual Search folder as another view of real items. Same as the way a Search for files in Windows Explorer in XP provides a search folder which displays the actual files, in both cases the actual files/items can then be opened, deleted, renamed, etc.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In a search folder, the items are real, but the folder is fake - it uses smoke and mirrors to let you view items together that live in several real folders.
    If you empty a search folder, you are deleting the real items from their original folders.
    If you delete a search folder, you are only deleting the virtual view, not the items. So the items remain in their original folders.
    This is explained without ambiguity in the article you refer to.

Thanks

Thanks Hans and John.
    No I understand that the e-mails are real and that the folders are not. Well I should say that after reading the article I understand it. I think that Hans's term of smoke and mirrors sums it up nicely.
    Thanks John