5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ActiveX Problem (Pro 2000, all updates)

I've had to reinstall Office 2000 on an XP Pro MCE box, and now I'm getting problems with some of my RSS feeds, using the NewsGator add-on for Outlook. On some feeds, when I try to read the message, I get two pop-ups complaining that some ActiveX control can't be displayed, because I either have my security settings too high or I have blocked the publisher of the control. I never got this error before I installed IE7, so I suspect it's the culprit. How do I get rid of these popups?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: ActiveX Problem (Pro 2000, all updates)

Can you provide a screen shot of these pop ups, as it will help in see what settings needs to be changed?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I see that you are running Norton's, have you check the setting in there?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here you go!

Huge screenshot cropped by HansV
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA,

>> I see that you are running Norton's, have you check the setting in there? <<

The PC came with a 90-day service for Norton AV, which I planned on dropping when the time is up. I don't see anything specific about ActiveX controls in Norton, so I haven't a clue what to turn off.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think it is a "Firewall" or a "Spyware" setting that is blocking your ActiveX. You need to check ALL of you different protection type of software and see what is happening.

You may need to REMOVE Norton's now and get your machine protected with what you want and not have to go through all of this again when your Norton's expire.

Thanks

ActiveX controls should always be blocked in email message bodies for security reasons. Don't try to change it!! (Sorry, I don't know how to get rid of the dialog.)

If you dislike the above advice and like to live recklessly, you would use Outlook's Security Zone setting to switch from reading mail in the Restricted security zone to the Internet security zone, which would then use IE's setting for visiting untrusted (but unrestricted) web sites.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA,

>> I think it is a "Firewall" or a "Spyware" setting that is blocking your ActiveX. You need to check ALL of you different protection type of software and see what is happening. <<

Doesn't the fact that the error window in the screen shot say "Microsoft Internet Explorer" indicate IE7 is the cause of the problem? I was using Norton AV and Zone Alarm firewall before the IE7 install without this problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

jscher2000,

>> If you dislike the above advice and like to live recklessly, you would use Outlook's Security Zone setting to switch from reading mail in the Restricted security zone to the Internet security zone, which would then use IE's setting for visiting untrusted (but unrestricted) web sites. <<

Unfortunately all that does is substitute a different error message, about an error occurring in a script on that page, and asking if I want to continue running scripts on that page [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Thanks

I don't know anything about NewsGator. Perhaps they have some suggestions for you.

If you were using Outlook 2002 or 2003, you could use a rule to run a VBA procedure to kill the ActiveX controls, at least in mail messages. This was not available in Outlook 2000.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Microsoft Internet Explorer" indicate IE7 is the cause of the problem?
    Answer, NO, a lot of programs will use a standard error message which in turn looks like it is in the Microsoft product.

I was using Norton AV and Zone Alarm firewall before the IE7 install without this problem.
    Answer, you have said that you are running a 90 day copy of Norton's but you just upgraded to IE and, did the some what new machine come with IE6?

Is you RSS reader compliant with IE7?
    At the NewsGator web site there is comments about patches be worked on for IE 7.