Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OpenOffice.org 2.2

OpenOffice.org 2.2 the free (open source) multiplatform and multilingual office suite has just been released. It resolves some security issues, has some significant enhancements and bug fixes.

Depending on your OS it is between 81 & 135MB download.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OpenOffice.org 2.2

Thanks for the heads up, Tony. Off now to install this baby...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm still downloading .................................................. ........................... I hope to complete it before retirement.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John's post seems to indicate a download problem, which I didn't have any trouble with. The D/L was about 100 meg but my cable handled it in good time. I am a novice user of Open Office - BTW I hate the " OO " acronym - and am a little disappointed in a couple of aspects of the upgrade. The installation went very well, but I allowed it to expand the installer file to its chosen folder on my desktop and it DID NOT remove those files when it was finished. Although it seems that the 2.2 installation DID replace my 2.1 version, there was a residue directory left on my drive for the 2.1 installation that also did NOT get removed.

I don't remember if this happened in the first time I installed 2.1 but this new 2.2 installation created a tray (startup) entry for some kind of quick starter that doesn't seem to accomplish anything, so I've shut it down. If anyone thinks that's a mistake, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Speaking of "quick start" I'm not the least bit happy with how long it takes ANY Open Office program to start. When I was running Office, the various programs would open almost instantly. Open Office takes an eternity to open one of its programs. Disappointing to me.

Having said all of that, I have no idea what's "improved" in version 2.2 but I'll obviously give it a go since I'm now committed to this thing...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm on a 256kbps DSL, it got done just now, took 2 hours 36 minutes.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

IIRC Microsoft cheats with their loading tme by pre-loading bits of Office at startup, the quickstarter in OpenOffice is supposed to do a similar job, but I haven't seen any appreciable difference. What I have noticed though is how quickly OpenOffice starts again (ie close it down wait a wee bit then restart it -- pretty fast)

You'll probably find that it helps in the general running of OpenOffice if you hang out in the forums at http://www.oooforum.org/
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)