2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing Field Data Types (Access 2003)

I have a table that has a text field. The data in the table come from an Oracle database where the field is a mix of alpha and numeric data. I strip off the alpha characters, delete leading/trailing spaces and generally clean up the information as all I need are the numbers. After I finish scrubbing the data, I want to change the field to be numeric for many reasons, such as calculating averages and having information sort correctly (11 is not less than 2). I know I could copy the data to another table with that field formatted as numeric. However, because there are hundreds of thousands of records, I do not want to balloon the database by having two tables even if one would ultimately be deleted.

Is there a way to programmatically change the data type of the field from text to number? If I open the table in design view and change the data type, it won't save the change due to the overall size of the table.

I could handle the text field in a separate table and update the clean data to the master table, if necessary. If I could change the field programmatically, I would rather go that route (fewer steps and a smaller database).

Is there a way?

Thanks!

Nancy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing Field Data Types (Access 2003)

In theory, yes. But if you cannot change the field interactively, I don't know if you will succeed programmatically.
    The instruction needed to change the data type of a field is like this:

CurrentDb.Execute "ALTER TABLE [NameOfTable] ALTER COLUMN [NameOfField] INTEGER", dbFailOnError

You must, of course, substitute the correct names. This instruction will attempt to change the data type to Long Integer. If your field contains numbers with decimal places, use FLOAT instead of INTEGER.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing Field Data Types (Access 2003)

It worked perfectly!

Thanks, Hans.

I appreciate your help.

Nancy