phillipworth

How to move to non-default cell after data entry (Excel 2000 SR1)

I would like to move to a different cell relative to the active cell (other than the default) after I have entered data in the active cell. The relative move is to be specific to each cell in the sheet and not necessarily the same for each cell.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to move to non-default cell after data entry (Excel 2000 SR1)

You could try using Worksheet protection. If you protect all cells other that those that require data entry, and then Protect the worksheet, you can move to the next unprotected cell by using the tab key after you make your entry.(you do net even have to use the enter key). For this to work most effectively it is best to uncheck Move Selection after Enter, in your Edit options.

It could be done via code by using the Worksheet_SelectionChange event, but the feasability of that would depend on the number of different cells you want it to apply to.

Andrew C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to move to non-default cell after data entry (Excel 2000 SR1)

See attached workbook. There are two sheets. One is the data entry sheet. The other contains offsets, indicating where you would like the selection to move after changing teh cells on the Data sheet. In the Worksheet_Change event code block for the Data sheet is code that extracts the offsets from the Offsets sheet and applies them to the selection on the Data sheet. To change the offsets, simply edit teh Data sheet. The Data sheet can be hidden (use Custom Views to switch between User and Maintenance "modes").

The code doesn't have much in the way of weird condition checking, so you may see some run-time errors, depending on what you do when entering data. My intention was only to demonstrate the concept.

The offsets on the Offsets sheet move the selection on the Data sheet according to chess knight's moves (up to 17 moves - I'm lazy).

Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files