Star Lounger
    Thanks

command button (XP)

Hi
    I am in the beginning stages of creating a database with 5 different forms, which I need all linked together. I started with Purchase Orders, and added a subform with PO Line Items. I added two tabs (Vendors and Contracts) that link with each Purchase order. I have two more forms, Received and Issued, that I need linked (ideally I think it would link with the POnumber and Line Item No) - that when a certain item comes in, it can be marked as received, then when it's issued out, it can be marked as issued. I was thinking about putting command buttons on the form to open up the Received or Issued form, but I can't seem to get it linked to the Line Items. Would command buttons work for this? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks! I will include the database in case that's helpful.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: command button (XP)

You could make frmPOLineItems a single form instead of a continuous form. You could then put frmReceiving as a subform on it.

BTW, is each Issued record always uniquely related to a Received record? Or is it more logical to relate it directly to a PO Line Item record? (I don't know the answer - you'll have to decide this).

Another option is to keep frmPOLineItems as a continuous form, but make it a bit more compact, and place frmReceiving next to it. You can link them using the method described in the answer to <post:=638,296>post 638,296</post:>.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know this is supposed to be easy but i can't get it to work at all, and I thought I understood it. Can you see what I'm doing wrong? Thanks alot. And then I'll still have to do this with the Issued subform also - just do the same thing? Actually, each Issued entry would relate directly to a received entry, because it can't be issued until it's received. Maybe I'm in over my head. Thanks for any help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See the attached version. No code is used - a text box on the main form refers to the primary key of the line items subform, and the Link Master Fields property of the received items subform refers to this text box (and the Link Child Fields property refers to the primary key of the received items table). You could repeat this for the issued subform.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I finally have it all working and have given to the customer to test, so I'm sure I'll have more questions for you! But Hans, thank you very much, you're always so helpful.