Lounger
    Thanks

Brochure printing (2003 SP2)

I created a booklet based on a template I found on Microsoft on-line called "booklet for products and services." I cannot get it to print correctly in booklet form. When it was an 8 page booklet (like the template), it printed fine. Now that I have added two pages, it doesn't work. I cannot figure out why. I added a blank page after the cover page, before the table of contents, and another blank page at the end before the back cover in order to make it 12 pages. That doesn't work either. It starts page numbering on the table of contents page when I add the blank page instead of page 1. then it numbers completely through the end including the back cover. The template is set up so that the cover page is section 1, the rest of the booklet is section 2. Page numbering starts in section 2 after the table of contents. I think this has something to do with my problem but I can't figure out the logic. Can anyone help me, please. I have spent hours on this already trying to make it work - not to mention the paper! Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Brochure printing (2003 SP2)

In File | Page Setup, Layout tab, you'll see that the document has been set up to have a different first page for each section, and also different odd/even pages.
    The first page footer of each section is empty, but the footers for subsequent pages contains the page number.
    If you insert a page break at the beginning of section 2 and of section 3, the new blank pages will be the first page of these sections, and the Table of Contents and the back cover, formerly the first page, will now be the second page of their section, hence they have a page number in the footer. Instead of inserting page breaks, try inserting next-page section breaks.

Note that adding 2 pages to an 8 page brochure doesn't make it a 12 page brochure

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, that works for the numbering. However, it still doesn't print correctly. I think I need to have 12 pages total. The original template was an 8 page document. I made mine 10 pages then I added two blank pages to make it 12. In order for the booklet to print out correctly, the document needs to be in multiples of four, I think. That would be two pages on one side of landscape paper, then two pages on the other side for a total of four, then four more, and four more for 12.

The template booklet is actually two sheets of paper, each with four pages - two on each side.

My booklet will be three sheets of paper. The page on the backside of the cover will be blank, and the page on the inside of the back cover will be blank. So, here's now I need it to print:

1st sheet of paper: Back cover on left, front cover on right (no page numbers)
    The other side of that sheet of paper will be blank.

2nd sheet of paper. Page 7 on the left side, Table of contents on right side
    The other side of 2nd sheet of paper will have page 1 on the left and page 6 on the right

3rd sheet of paper will have page 5 on the left, page two on the right
    The other side of 3rd sheet will have page 3 on the left and page 4 on the right.

When they're folded and stapled in the middle, its a booklet.

The problem comes in when I add those blank pages. When I print this, I am physically printing 6 sheets of paper - once I get it right, I can do the duplex. So the sheets should come out like this:
    1 - booklet back cover on left, booklet tile on right
    2 - blank (because the back of the front cover will be blank and the inside of the back cover will be blank)
    3 - page 7 left, TOC right
    4 - 1 left, 6 right
    5 - 5 left 2 right
    6 - 3 left, 2 right

Whew, this is confusing - I can send you the document if you want to look at it.

What I'm thinking now that I'm writing this all out, is that maybe I should just make the TOC and the 7 pages one booklet, then just print the front and back cover on one sheet of paper.

I probably now have you just as confused as I am! It just seems there should be an easier way to do this.

Thanks,
    Elaine

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you increase the number of sheets per booklet from 8 to 12 in the Margins tab of File | Page Setup?

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I did. If you don't it treats it as two separate booklets and doesn't print out correctly either.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You haven't said yet (unless I'm overlooking it) how the pages of your 12-page document come out.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,
    couldn't get back to you yesterday, my granddaughter was visiting.
    When I add the section break as you suggested after the cover page in order to add the blank page, it prints out as follows: (Note, I didn't add the section break to add an extra sheet at the end because when I did that, then added another page, it numbered the last page which is the back cover as page 1. So, I then tried adding two next page section breaks in order to add the extra page to make a total of 12 pages to see how that worked and I will show you how that printed as well)
    1 - back cover on left, front cover on right (this is good)
    2 - blank sheet on left, page 7 on right - this is good)
    3 - page 6 on left, blank on right - bad
    4 - table of contents on the left, page 5 on the right
    5 - page 4 on the left, 5 on the right
    6 - page two on the left, page 3 on the right

this is how it turns out when I add the two section breaks in order to add the extra page and have it not print a page number on the cover:

1 - back cover on left, front cover on right (good)
    2 - table of contents on left, blank on right
    3 - blank on left, page 1 on right
    4 - page 2 on left, page 7 on right
    5 - page 6 on left, 3 on right
    6 - page 4 on left, 5 on right

This is so frustrating because I just can't understand why it doesn't work. If it works for an 8 page document, it should work for a 12 page document.
    thanks again,
    Elaine

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What you want will be difficult to accomplish. In a booklet, you want odd and even pages to be different. But that forces odd-numbered pages to the right-hand side and even-numbered pages to the left-hand side. This causes the extra blank pages - they are needed to ensure that odd-numbered pages are on the right-hand side.
    It will be easiest to live with the TOC on the inside of the front cover. To avoid having two blank pages before the back cover, play with the spacing of the text until you find a distribution that is pleasing.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans,
    I came up with more text to add to the brochure to make it 12 pages and it works just fine. I still don't understand why adding two blank pages didn't work. If they were numbered, what difference would it have made that there was no text on them. I'm just thankful that it is done and I very much appreciate your help.
    Elaine

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The template has been carefully set up so that the TOC is on an even numbered (left-hand) page and the start of the actual text is on an odd-numbered (right-hand) page. Inserting an extra physical page disturbs this pattern and causes Word to insert another, virtual page (only visible in print preview and in the printed output) to restore the pattern.
    It would probably have been possible to create a document the way you originally wanted, but it would have required fundamentally changing the way the document is set up, and it would have been a lot of work.