Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP file sharing w/ Norton NIS

HI-

I have four computers on a wifi network (wep encryption) and all access the interet fine. Two I orginally set up for file sharing and now I want the other two to be able to share (at least with each other).

The two that work run XPmedia and XP pro. the two to add are XP home and XP pro. All are running NIS 2007 and have all the latest MS updates. In NIS I set the TRUSTED to include the IP address of each PC on all of them. I set file sharing on for the folders I want shared and ran the join a network wizard with workgroup name etc. When I try to share, I can "see" all the PCs but I get an error message that says I cannot have access, I may not have permission etc. When I disable NIS firewall, I can exchange files.

Anyone know what in the world this problem is? I'm asking here because I've seen a few articles that seem to indicate there are special problems with XP Home. If this is so, can you point me in some direction to read up on this?

thanks

tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP file sharing w/ Norton NIS

Can you please confirm that I have understood.

If you completely disable the NIS firewall then all PCs can access each other without problem.
    If the firewall is enabled, and each PC has been added to the "TRUSTED" zone then you cannot access file shares from either of the new computers.

If this is right then we clearly have a Norton Internet Security configuration issue here, so I hope that someone who runs that software will be able to help you.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart-

That is right. I am sure it is some kind of norton configuration issue, but it does seem that it may also be a windows XP HOME issue? Even when I turn all the firewall software off, I can move files from the new PC with WinXPpro but not on the Home edition one.

thanks

tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am now a bit confused. What does "not on the Home edition one." mean in your last post?

Can you please let us know exactly what shares you have configured, and which can be accessed from where. For example

<UL><LI>With Norton Security Disabled
    <UL><LI>PC1 (XP Pro):
    <UL><LI>Share1: can be accessed by all other PCs
    <LI>Share2: can be accessed by all other PCs[/list][/list]<UL><LI>PC2 (XP Media Centre)
    <UL><LI>Share3: can be accessed by all other PCs
    <LI>Share4: can be accessed by all other PCs[/list][/list]<UL><LI>PC3 (XP Home)
    <UL><LI>Share5: can be accessed by all other PCs[/list][/list]<UL><LI>PC2 (XP Home)
    <UL><LI>Share6: can be accessed by all other PCs[/list][/list][/list]<UL><LI>With Norton Security enabled
    <UL><LI>PC1 (XP Pro):
    <UL><LI>Share1: can be accessed by all other PCs
    <LI>Share2: can be accessed by all other PCs[/list][/list]<UL><LI>PC2 (XP Media Centre)
    <UL><LI>Share3: can be accessed by all other PCs
    <LI>Share4: can be accessed by all other PCs[/list][/list]<UL><LI>PC3 (XP Home)
    <UL><LI>Share5: can be accessed by all other PCs[/list][/list]<UL><LI>PC2 (XP Home)
    <UL><LI>Share6: can be accessed by all other PCs[/list][/list][/list](I know that this list is wrong as it shows no difference if NIS is enabled or disabled).

StuartR

Thanks

Does the trusted tab of NIS show the network you are on? Is there anything in the restricted section?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart-

Thanks... I'm not able to hook all of them up today (or yesterday) because one of the laptops is out on a trip <g>. will get it all tomorrow morning.

appreciate your help on this.

tom

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rory-
    The network name and router mac address show in the ACTIVE tab of trust control on all of the PCs. There is nothing in the RESTRICTED tab.

thanks,

tom