2 Star Lounger
    Blacktown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Replication (2003)

I have read some of the past posts here regarding replication of a database, in particular some posts from Charlotte.
    I have a small database (about 4 mb at present. No anticipation of growing past 10mb in any forseeable future). I currently carry the database on a USB drive, and use the database either on my home PC (Original), the Work PC or a laptop, (which is not work related). I need to be able to access or update the data in the database from any of these locations. If I understand the posts correctly, my best bet is to split the database and then replicate the back-end. This sounds reasonable. BUT! if I make changes to the front end, by mods to queries, reports or forms, how can I guarantee that I syncronise the front end, if the posts are suggesting that the Front end should not be replicated. Is it as simple as 'remembering' to copy the front end to the other locations or is there another more reliable method, (my brain has been loaded with Write Only Memory).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replication (2003)

I hope that you don't modify the frontend as often as the data in the backend are modified, so it shouldn't be too difficult to copy it to the USB drive when necessary.

You could also use a program such as Karen's Replicator (free) or Second Copy (commercial, but free trial download available).

2 Star Lounger
    Blacktown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Replication (2003)

Thanks Hans, I already use Karens Replicator for Nightly Backups. Had not thought to use this for that purpose. Good idea.