3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

installing programmes (XP SR2)

I'm having a problem installing anything that is large and complex--that comes on a CD. Most immediately, I'm trying to install the software for a new scanner, which came in a 95 MB zip file. I press on the standard startup.exe--I get the hourglass for a little while, and then it just does nothing. I think there must be something missing or corrupt in my Windows application. Can anyone suggest what I can do to repair. I think I've had this problem for some time, and would prefer not to do a system restore (which would have to be months back) unless it was absolutely necessary.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: installing programmes (XP SR2)

I have to ask the usual questions: have you done a complete virus scan of the hard drive and/or one or more malware scans using something like AdAware and Spybot? I can't think of any reason that an EXE file wouldn't either go ahead and execute or yield an error message.

If your new scanner is of the USB variety, be sure you DO NOT have it physically connected when you try to run the installation software. Most of the time, for USB devices, you need to run the install software first and THEN physically connect the device.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm wondering if the CD drive is reading properly or too slowly. I've had this kind of problem myself. Just for the heck of it, you could try copy the whole CD to a temp folder on HD, and see if things run properly from there.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both. What i'm trying to work with at the moment is on the HD (the CD will come through the mail tomorrow)--and I've done the security checks.
    The HP website suggested trying to install in safe mode. With this, I got a lot further: it went much further through the process. However: it told me, as it began, that 'Uninstaller shield had failed to initialize', and after it had done a lot more that it would otherwise do, I got an 'InstallShield has encountered a problem and needs to close'. My instinct is that my version of InstallShield has become corrupt somehow.

best

Thanks

Have you tried re downloading the file from HP's web site? May be that the file itself is corrupt
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

fraid not--even the CD version of it doesn't work. And I've updated Windows Installer from the Microsoft website and knowledge base, but I still get the same problem. It also seems to occur with any install file that's complex or on a CD. I think I might have to do a really ancient system restore and see if that works--but I rather dread that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

How much memory and empty disk space do you have?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for this--but it doesn't really work either. I'm beginning to think that my whole Windows installation has somehow got corrupted, since various things have inexplicably begun to go wrong: the add/remove entries cpl doesn't appear in control panel; I can only open files through the relevant application, not from Explorer ...

I'm most grateful

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> it doesn't really work either

What did you try to do? What happened?

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've got a new second hand scanner which has to have some complicated software installed. But--I discover--it's not a problem with the download, but with the Windows system--and it affects other complex installations as well. And the download installs fine on other machines.
    In normal mode when I click on setup.exe, there's an introductory screen, but then the routine dies (if I repeat, there's not even the introductory screen). In safe mode, I get further: it does 95 percent of the installation, and then tells me that InstallShield Engine has encountered a problem and needs to close. If I repeat, it tells me near the beginning that it couldn't initialise uninstall, but then behaves in the same way. Interestingly, on the other machine, when it invites me to stipulate a set up group, the routine sees all the others--when I'm doing this in safe mode, it doesn't list them.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen similar symptoms when the TEMP folder has had too many files. Can you try deleting everything from your TEMP folder. (Probably Cocuments and SettingsUsernameLocal SettingsTemp but it could be elsewhere. Try typing <code>ECHO %TEMP%</code> in a command window to check).

StuartR

Thanks

Philip,
    -------------------------------------
    I think I might have to do a really ancient system restore
    -------------------------------------
    Have you actually checked to see HOW ancient your restore points really are? ( how ancient is "ancient?" )

If System Restore is working the way it should be, new restore points will be created as time goes by and the oldest points will be deleted to make room for the newer ones.
    You may not even have a restore point old enough to go back to before you were having the problem.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I'm now away from home for more than a week. We have an IT consultant who came to look at it, and came to the conclusion that the registry is corrupt and a whole reformat is necessary. By this stage, system restore is hanging when you ask it actually to operate--the basic difficulty is that many programmes are now refusing even to start.

I'm very grateful to everyone for trying to help with a nightmare situation!