Lounger
    Thanks

Share XP Folders

Hi,
    I have a dexktop running XP home edition, networked (wifi) to a laptop running w2k. The XP system shares a folder with the laptop so I can transfer files. That was until last week. Now when I try to acces the XP share folder from W2K it asks fro a userid & password (never did this before), when I enter a valid ID and PW nothing happens, I am looped back to the UID/PW screen.

So what changed. well I upgraded from norton interent security 2006 to Norton 360.

What I have tried so far (none of whitch have worked)

1) Disabled Norton 360 Firewall.
    2) Disabled windows firewall
    3) Attempted to setup a second share
    4) Verified userid and passwords (both same on XP and W2K systems)
    5) Called Symantec (suggested reinstall Norton 360 ) could not explain why, or what this would fix , so I declined

The w2k laptop can see the xp server in the workgroup, it is only when I access the server/folder that I get the request for UID/PW.

Any constructive thoughts welcome.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Share XP Folders

Check to make sure the Guest Account is turned on at the XP machine. Following extracted from StarPost <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:>:
    <hr>User accounts:

* Make sure that you are using the same username and password on all PCs
    * Make sure the guest account is enabled by typing net user guest /active:yes to a command prompt on each PC
    * Create a new (temporary) username on each PC, for example Testnet, with the same password, and log in to this account on each PC <hr>

Lounger
    Thanks

Tried this. still no success.

I have successfully accessed folders on the laptop (W2k) from the xp.

What I have also noticed is that the Net Logon service is stopped on the XP system . Curious !!!!

When I try to start the Net Logon service, I get the message that "Net Logon service started then stopped. some services stop due to inactivity "

????

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have a workgroup established? Are your users in the group? As odd as it may seem, try creating or renaming the admin accounts and passwords to be exactly the same, and try logging in again.
    "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will be hacked. What&#39;s more, you deserve to be hacked." -Richard Clarke