Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Outline numbering (appendices) (2003)

I'm building a new template that will include outline numbering. The numbering for the main part of the document will use the built-in heading styles, as follows:
    Part One (Heading 1)
    Chapter 1 (Heading 2)
    Major subheading [no numbering] (Heading 3)
    Minor subheading (no numbering) (Heading 4)
    numbered paragraphs (Heading 5)
    bulleted paragraphs (Heading 6)

Next come the appendices. To number the appendices, I plan to follow the advice I got from Hans in <post#=549,990>post 549,990</post#>. That is, I will create a clone of the Heading 1, 2, etc., styles and call them Appendix1 (based on Heading 1), Appendix2 (based on Heading 2), etc. [FWIW: The appendices will be Appendix A, Appendix B, etc. The numbered paragraphs will be A-1, A-2, B-1, B-2, etc.)

My question: When I'm ready to apply the outline numbering scheme to my appendices, do I stay with the same Outline Numbering gallery picture that I used in the rest of the document? (I'm thinking yes, but I'd like to hear from some experts.) What prompts the questions is that when I view the gallery, I see some of the pictures displaying the word "Appendix." Of course, what I want to avoid is the dreaded "spaghetti numbering" problem.

Or would I be better off building the appendices as a separate document?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outline numbering (appendices) (2003)

When you have created the Appendix styles, you can apply them from the Styles and Formatting task pane. That is probably safer than using the Bullets and Numbering dialog.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. To carry this a little further: Let's say I've built my Appendix styles with all their attributes except the numbering scheme. Now...I open the Styles and Formatting task pane, right-click on the Appendix1 style, and choose Modify. Then I choose Format... > Numbering. The Style Gallery opens. If I were beginning the process of setting the outline numbering scheme for Heading 1, Heading 2, and so on, I'd select one of the gallery pictures and click Customize... and so on. To avoid corrupting my numbering scheme, I want to be very careful to always use the same gallery picture that I selected at the start.

Now I wish to set the outline numbering scheme not for Heading 1 and so on, but for a new style that is based on Heading 1. So...in the numbering Style Gallery, must I stick with the same gallery picture that I used when setting the numbering scheme for Headings 1-6, or can I (or should I) select one of the other pictures? (I hope I'm making sense

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you start customizing the numbering for a level 1 style, be it Heading 1 or a style based on it, you can specify the numbering for all lower levels without leaving the dialog. See Microsoft Word Help FAQ. How to create heading numbering and outline numbering in Microsoft Word for an extensive explanation.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans!