4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to Print to Shared LPT1 Printer (XP SP2)

I'm unable to get one of our new Windows XP computers to print to a shared printer on the network. His computer can print to other printers but not this one. Other printers are setup via TCP/IP port on servers and shared from there on the network. He can print to one of those. The one he needs to print to is connected via parallel cable to his assistant's Windows 2000 computer. He could print to her before we replaced his Windows 2000 computer with this new Windows XP box. Other Windows 2000 computers can print to her shared printer but not his Windows XP computer. So I'm thinking its a Windows XP thing? Anyone have a suggestion or could point me in the right direction?
    Daisy

Thanks

Re: Unable to Print to Shared LPT1 Printer (XP SP2

Can you define 'Unable to print'...
    Do you mean it can't see the printer?
    It can see it but won't add it as a printer?
    It goes through the motions of printing, but nothing happens?

What kind of printer? and do you have the correct drivers installed?
    Does it print if the (XP) user has Admin rights?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to Print to Shared LPT1 Printer (XP SP2)

On your client's assistant computer (a new WinXP machine): click Start > Printers and Faxes, on Printers window right-click the printer connected to parallel port on this computer and from pop-up menu select Properties. Then on Properties window click Sharing tab and make sure "Share this printer" option is selected; then check printer name (and also computer name on System in Control Panel).

On your client computer: click Start > Printers and Faxes, click Add a Printer link on the left pane, on Add Printer wizard click Next, then select "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer" option, on the next screen select "Connect to this printer..." option and type ComputerNamePrinterName (do not forget to use backslashes, no empty spaces), click Next and follow the wizard. Select "Print test page" option and check the printout.

---Later addition----

It is possible, that the problem with printing is caused by automatic printer installation. For instance, it may pick up the wrong driver. I would strongly recommend uncheck "Automatically search for network folders and printers" option on View tab in Folder Options applet in Control Panel.
    (This is per user setting, you can make a script changing DWORD value
    HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorer AdvancedNoNetCrawling
    to 1.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reading it back now I see my post was very poorly written. It's turned into a not so pretty day for me.

I didn't have any trouble adding the printer to the XP user's machine last week when I was setting it up for him to use. It's an HP 4100, online and ready to go. Others print to it fine. The XP user has Power User privileges on his local machine. I went to another XP user's desk who is setup with the same rights on the local machine and network, added the same printer and was able to print. To get the XP user go he could print at least temporarily I added a different printer a little further away from his office that's on the network via TCP/IP. He was able to print there fine.

Meanwhile, the XP user had more trouble on his computer including a blue screen of death. I've spent the rest of the day up in his office running hardware tests. I've got it narrowed down to either the CPU or Memory. I'm leaning toward the latter. I don't know how that would have caused a printing problem, but who knows. Wasn't it a full moon last night?

This is a new computer so it'll be a couple of days while the vendor replaces the part we decide is bad. I'll post again probably next week if the printing problem is there still when I can log back into his computer. I swear the technology here is out to get me because I'm taking a few days off at the end of this week. Argh!
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

If there is a hardware problem it is best to get it resolved before trying to debug anything else. Try to solve multiple problems simultaneously on the same machine will drive you nuts.

Joe
    Joe