3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Renumber a Number automatically? (2007)

Hi y'all

Someone has asked me if it's possible to get a Field to number itself based on the position it is in a list.

Say for example, I had 3 documents stored in a binder.

I refer to these documents in the Database and then send a Report to someone who may come back to me regarding one of these documents.

Rather than refering to the document name, would it be possible for Access to number these documents based on, eg, their Date Order?

So, I enter my first document into the Database, and it's assigned Number 1 and the date of the Document is 1 January 2007.
    I then enter my 2nd document into the Database, and it's assigned Number 2, and it's dated 4 January 2007.
    A week later, I realize I missed out a document, so I enter it into the Database, but it's dated 2 January 2007.

Would Access be able to 'insert' it into the database assigning it Number 2 and reassigned the 2nd document Number 3?

If it's really complicated or not possible, then no worries, but without stroking your egos, I know that if anyone knows whether it would be possible, it would be you guys.

Thanks in advance for any help. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Renumber a Number automatically? (2007)

The physical order of records in a table is arbitrary and irrelevant. You can sort queries and reports on the date field, and you can easily display the current record number on a form, and a (calculated) sequence number on reports. So there is no need to have a self-reorganizing sequence number in the table itself.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Renumber a Number automatically? (2007)

Excellent point, Hans. I suppose if there are new records added after the Report is printed and sent out, a new Report could just be issued.

Thanks for your reply.

Hope you had a good evening.
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]