2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Links not updating (Excel 2003 sp2)

I'm having a problem with links to external workbooks not updating. The calculation is set to automatic and I've tried doing an F9 - does nothing. If I go to Edit>Links all the links are shown as unknown. All the workbooks are open. If I select Update Values - the dialog box says that one or more links could not be updated - to open all workbooks and press F9 to update and the status changes to Warning: open source...etc. All the files are already open. If I select Open source, it says that it's already open. This has worked fine until just recently, although I can't pinpoint exactly when this became a problem because I didn't access some of the files for about a week. I have not installed any new programs and have only updated any security patches by company requires. Any ideas? Actually 1 link (to day.xls) does update when i select update values.
    Attached is a small sample.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Links not updating (Excel 2003 sp2)

I think the problem is with the file pwd.xls. Although this file has extension .xls, it is not an Excel workbook but a plain text file. If you open pwd.xls and save it under the same name as an Excel workbook, the links should work OK.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry - I forgot to say that the files are text. I changed day.xls to an Excel file to see if that made a difference. What i don't understand is that I download 13 files daily from a host application and they have always worked before.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried a link to a small text file. After saving and reopening the workbook, I got the same error message. I had to open the text file in order to update the link.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's what I don't understand. when I select Update Values, I get the message that Excel couldn't update one or more links and to open the files The text files are already open, so of course I get a message telling me that if I select open source.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm. Of course, I hade to reselect pwd.xls and day.xls because they are in a different path on my PC than on yours, and I had to break the links to the other files because I don't have those.
    But if I then save and close DCSWeb.xls, open pwd.xls and day.xls, and finally reopen DCSWeb.xls, I get no error messages. Perhaps the problem was with one of those other files? I have no way to check...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did the same as you and it worked fine...once!. The next day when I downloaded the same files -again it didn't update. I'm not sure what way to go with this, but I do have a hint. I bought the Navigator Utilities at http://www.robbo.com.au/ and when i used it to display all the external links and their status...even though I opened all the text files first, then the DCSWEB file (which I never had to do before) the utility shows an asterisk by each linked file if the file is open. None of the text files have an asterisk, so somehow Excel doesn't seem to know they're open. I also opened just the DCSWEB file, then went to Edit Links and selected Open Source. When I open them that way, they update fine. I then changed the workbook open code to show Workbooks.Open Filename:= _ instead of Workbooks.OpenText Filename:= _ and it works fine now. Thought you'd like to know the outcome.

Workbooks.Open Filename:=

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for letting us know.