3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

vary alignment in a line of text (XP 2003)

According to the help system, I can vary the alignment within a single line of text by positioning the I-beam pointer unill it changes into the various Align icons and then double click. This does not work for me, the pointer stays the same all the time. It would be good to be able to have one line of text, aligned both left and right with a gap in the middle, if this were possible. Thanks, Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: vary alignment in a line of text (XP 2003)

You should be able to achieve what you want by putting a right aligned tab at the right hand margin, and separating the two halves of your text with a tab.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (6.7 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A single paragraph can never have multiple alignments in Word. You can, however, use a right-aligned tab at the position of the right margin: type some text, press Tab, then type some more text. (see screenshot).

The feature you mention works in the empty part of a page below the last text, not when moving the mouse pointer over existing text.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (6.2 KB, 0 views)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is a feature that I would stay well away from but if you really want to explore it.

Check under Tools>Options>Edit for the setting called 'Enable Click and Type'. This should be ticked. Then go to Print Layout View or Web Layout view and try again. The help describes this as...
    Enable click and type Allows you insert text, graphics, tables, or other items in a blank area of a document by double-clicking in a blank area. Click and Type automatically applies the paragraph formatting and alignment necessary to position the item where you double-clicked. This feature is available only in print layout view and Web layout view.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have never used click-and-type, but I just tested this by putting a little text on a line and then double clicking further along the same line. Much to my surprise Word inserted a center aligned tab, or a right aligned tab, depending on where I clicked.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guy's, I can do it now that I have selected 'click and type' and it works as described. Calling it variable alignment is a bit misleading, as the tabs it inserts are not the same as paragraph alignment, but it does what I needed, so thanks for your help.