3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Look for item in a list (Excel 2002)

Hi,
    I'm in wanting to find a formula that will review my data and let me know if the database has a NEW item in it that is not defined in a predefined list I have located in a different sheet. For example, the following items show up in my long database:

HEALTH
    FLEX
    VACATION
    BONUS

These items may each show up hundreds of times in the large database. I'd like a formula that would tell me if there was a NEW item in my database. I have a LIST of these items in a different sheet, of course listing all the different types of items only ONCE EACH. Every now and then a NEW item shows up in my database and then I have to go and add it to my list (I perform a bunch of vlookup's based on this list, so I can tell they need to be added to the list due to the #N/A that results). I'm trying to create a macro that translates all my data for me, as opposed to the gazillion formulas I used to use, and now my macro STOPS when it can't find a vlookup match... sooo, I thought I'd create a macro to FIRST review my database for these new items, then add them to my list, then run my translation macro. Hope this makes sense... to recap, I was wondering if there was another way to search my database for new items OTHER THAN using a vookup which results in an #N/A... or could I add an ISNA type function in my macro and have the result say "ADD THIS ITEM TO LIST"??????
    Thanks!!
    Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Look for item in a list (Excel 2002)

Instead of searching for missing items, you could use Data | Filter | Advanced Filter with the 'Copy to another location' and 'Unique records only' options to regenerate the list of unique items.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ahh... this is an awesome tool... I've used the advanced filter before, but not in this way. I used the data/filter/advance filter, then I used the "filter the list, in place"... highlighted the large database, highlighted my list, then selected the "unique records only" box and the lonely little item that doesn't match anything in my list shows up... this is perfect! I tried the copy to another location and selected the "unique records only" box and it summarized my database and copied them all to the new location... I'm thinking your suggestion was that it would just copy that one little lonely item over... this would be better than what I did... I must be doing something wrong. I'll keep trying.
    Thanks Hans!
    Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think I understand what you're doing. If you need more help, please provide more detailed information.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This advanced filter is quite sensitive... I think I've tried it a least 50 times, and I've finally found out what its' sensitivities are. If you look at my macro below, the ranges selected are uniquely defined... what I've found out is that I can't say range( "G2:G65536") OR range("F1:F65536"). The ranges have to be the exact length of the database or the list (no blanks allowed). Also, the field heading/title of the database range is to be left OUT of the range, AND the field heading/title of the lookup list has to IN the range. Without these particulars, the filter does not work. I did finally figure out the "copy to another location" method... it wasn't working originally because of the sensitivities I mentioned above. Okay now that I've rambled on about how I finally got it to work, below is the macro I recorded... since I can NOT use 65,536 in my range (my database will vary in size every time), how can I get both the ranges in the macro below to read the data I want... can I incorporate Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0) into my macro below somehow?? I tried to incorporate it into the macro code below the recorded macro... it didn't work, but it didn't error out either, so I figured I must be on the right track!! Any help would be awesome!
    Thanks!
    Lana

RECORDED MACRO
    Range("G2:G1398").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterInPlace, CriteriaRange:= _
    Sheets("vlookup").Range("F1:F76"), Unique:=True

NEW ATTEMPT
    Range("G2").Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterInPlace, CriteriaRange:= _
    Sheets("vlookup").Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offset (1, 0), Unique:=True

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can use something like this:

Dim lngMaxRow As Long
    Dim lngMaxLookupRow As Long

lngMaxRow = Range("G65536").End(xlUp).Row
    lngMaxLookupRow = Worksheets("vlookup").Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Ro w

Range("G2:G" & lngMaxRow).AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterInPlace, _
    CriteriaRange:=Worksheets("vlookup").Range("A1:A" & lngMaxLookupRow), Unique:=True

(I'm not sure why your criteria range shifted from column F to column A between attempts - make sure you refer to the correct column)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans... I need to switch gears off of the macro, and back to the logic... I've attached a worksheet example of what I'm trying to do... I thought I got the advanced filter to work (manually, before I recorded the macro) and I was wrong... it wasn't doing what I thought. Anyway, I've attached a worksheet with an example (which is what I should have done in the first place) and it has a note in it explaining my questions/thoughts... I think maybe I'm trying to get the advanced filter to do something it can't?? I'm confused now.
    Thanks!!
    Lana
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is your end goal to determine if there are new items in the database list that are not in the criteria list (and if so, which ones they are)?
    Or is your end goal to update the criteria list so that it contains all unique items from the database list?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My end goal is to determine if there are new items in the database list that are not in the criteria list (and if so, which ones they are). And as you'd suspect... I'd like to utilize a macro to find/identify these "unlisted" items.

Thanks!
    Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The attached version contains a macro that first creates a list of all unique items from column C on the database sheet, then removes the items that occur in the criteria list. What remains are the unlisted items. I added a command button to call the macro.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Works perfect! I can apply this macro not only to this particular project, but many others as well!
    Thanks for the solution/macro Hans, and an evern bigger thanks for your help in teaching me how to use VBA! I've only scratched the surface based on what I've seen you do... I love this stuff!
    Thanks again!
    Lana