2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC from another document (Word 2003)

I am trying to create a Table of Contents (TOC) on a separate document. All documents are in the same folder: "C:ManualBook ChaptersChapter1.doc", where I have 12 documents; from Chapter 1 to Chapter 12. I know I have done it before and it did work, but it is not working in Word 2003.

I selected Insert | Field, selected the RD from the list. However, when I get in the document it is not a field but simple text inside the brackets, and when I right click on the field, it does not give me option to Update Field. If I type inside the {} TOC, or TOA, etc. it gives me the Field Update when I right click on it.

Even though inside the brackets: { RD C:ManualChaptersChapter1.doc } but this is not a field. It is simple text, therefore I cannot create a Table of Contents.

Am I missing something when it comes to the TOC? I have tried putting quotes, change the names of the documents, etc. but nothing works. Any ideas?

Thank you before hand for responding.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: TOC from another document (Word 2003)

hi vgarrim,

RD fields don't behave like other fields - as soon as you complete them they are formatted as hidden text. This also explains why they don't look like other kinds of field. Having created you RD field(s), all you need to do is to insert a single TOC field before it/them.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC from another document (Word 2003)

Thank you, it is working now. I guess it is different in Word 2000 because I never had to use the TOC before the RD.