2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Form Design (2003)

Hello,

I have been given an excel template that has about 15 fields and I have been told to make a database of this. I imported the excel dat into an access table. Next I have developed a form with 2 combo boxes at the top named state and hospsystem. I have a subform based on a query that used the combo box values to bring back data pertaining to the choices. Besides just viewing records, they would like me to use the same form to add new hospsytems and new records to the form. I have tried using the subform when doing this and it works for the most part except sometimes when I type in a new hospsystem in the combo box it replaces the data in another record. Also, i have set up the subform state and hospsystem to bring back the same value. Would there be a better way to set up?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form Design (2003)

If you want to use the same combo box to search for existing records and to add new values to the list, you have to be extremely careful. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, I would advice against this.

I don't understand what you mean by "Also, i have set up the subform state and hospsystem to bring back the same value".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Also, i have set up the subform state and hospsystem to bring back the same value" explanation. I was doing this so if someone wanted to add a new hospsystem to the combo box and create a new record so they wouldn't have to retype the combo box selections in the subform. I probably just need them to use this as a viewing tool and for updating records then add a command button to open a fresh form where they can input a new record. Your thoughts.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should be able to use the On Not In List event of the combo box to add a new item to the list, but I don't understand enough about the way you set up the form to come up with more specific help.