Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Bold lead-in (2003)

I routinely build memorandums from a template I built. The template uses Word's built-in headings to handle the outline numbering. The major paragraphs use Heading 1, which numbers the paragraphs and uses Times New Roman 12 as the font. Here's my problem: The boss likes to start the major paragraphs with a couple of words in bold. The paragraphs look like this:

1. Training calendar. The coming quarter....

Of course, I can apply the bold formatting manually, but I wonder if there's a "more elegant" way to do this...?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bold lead-in (2003)

You cannot define a style in which the first sentence is bold. But you could run a macro that makes the first sentence in each Heading 1 paragraph bold:

Sub MayIBeSoBold()
    Dim par As Paragraph
    For Each par In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
    If par.Style = "Heading 1" Then
    par.Range.Sentences(1).Font.Bold = True
    End If
    Next par
    End Sub

You'd have to run this macro when the document is otherwise finished.

PS Heading styles are intended to be used as (usually single-line) headings in a generally larger font size than normal text. You seem to be using it for the body text of the document...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the macro, Hans. I suspected a macro might be the solution.

Now, re: the use of heading styles
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd use either the built-in ListNumber styles, or design your own styles for this. see the attached version.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, here's a sample of another template I use regularly. Completely different numbering scheme from my other sample, but this one also employs the built-in headings. The scheme works, although Headings 5 and 6 both use normal text.

If you were building a template like this, how would you approach it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The part title, chapter title, major subheading and minor subheading are real headers (even if you use two lines for the first two), so like you, I'd use the Heading 1 through Heading 4 styles for those.
    But the numbered and bulleted paragraphs are body text, so I wouldn't use Heading styles for them, but (for example) List Number and List Bullet. You can still tie List Number into the same numbering scheme as the heading styles: modify the Heading 1 style, select Format | Numbering..., click Customize, click More, and work your way down the levels, setting the appropriate style for each level. This allows you to keep on using the chapter number in the List Number style.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I understand. Thanx, Hans!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

In many scholarly and technical books and journals, the lowest level of heading is run into the paragraph. If these run-in headings need to appear in the table of contents or if they must be seen the outline structure of the doc as a headind, one could use Word's style separator. In your case, modify the next level below the lowest displayed heading in your doc to be based on (& the same as, but this isn't strictly necessary) the body type style (usually normal) but make it bold and numbered. Add the style separator to your toolbar if it's not already there. Type your heading paragraph (with the paragraph return or pilcrow) and apply the style. Type the text paragraph. Put your cursor anywhere in the soon-to-be run-in heading and click the style separator button. Word essentially applies the hidden style to the pilcrow and and the text paragraph is pulled up to the same line as the heading.

I've only used this feature near the end of the publishing cycle, so I don't know how robust it is in a team writing environment. But it should be much better than just making the first few words bold.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yaay Pam. This is how we do it in the law firm industry. We used to use a hidden paragraph to create run-in headings, but the introduction of the Style Separator simplified this significantly. It is more robust than any kind of direct character formatting solution.