5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop Screen Replace?

I have a friend whose Compaq Presario 2500 laptop screen needs replacement. Assuming she's willing to pony up $150 or so for one from Ebay, should I be able to make the replacement myself? I've done repairs to desktops for years, up to and including mobo replacement, but have never touched a laptop.

Thanks

Re: Laptop Screen Replace?

You could see what they say at the aptly named Repair4Laptop.org!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Given your experience I would say yes. You need two things, however, in my opinion. You need the disassembly sequence information for the laptop in question and you need a soft touch. If you have both of those, give it a go.

Paul

Thanks

JJ,
    Although I didnt have the screen replaced, I recently sent my old (out of warranty) Pavilion ze5000US laptop for repair into HP. Including overnight shipping bothways the cost was around 300. I shipped the computer on Saturday and had it back the following Tuesday!. They replaced the HD, and a few other things. Point is they go thru it from top to bottom and replace anything that needs replacing with NEW parts for that price. The laptop runs as good now as it did when I first bought it in 2001 or 2. Would I do it again. You betcha! Awesome service! Since Compaq is now part of HP I would check it out.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>and replace anything that needs replacing with NEW parts for that price<hr>

Are you saying John that the service is a fixed price regardless of what needs replacing ? That could be a real good deal especially when you are sure to have a working system when you are done and with fast service.

Paul

Thanks

Yes. that is what I am saying. They even shipped me an empty box to ship it to them. At one time or another I don't remember why or when, I had to cut the ground pin off of the power cord. They even replaced that. All they wanted shipped to them was the computer, and the power cord.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A couple of years ago I had to replace the screen on my Dell laptop. I bought one from Ebay and had no trouble replacing it. In fact, my then 14 yr. old son did most of the work.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One source to check, besides Ebay, is screentekinc.com . There's also a link to removing a Compaq laptop screen.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Lief !!!!

Wish I had this link several months ago when I had to replace the screen "Retaining" clips on a Compaq notebook. One broke and the Screen would no long support itself. The "support" documents I found at the time resulted in me effectively trashing the screen resulting in purchasing a replacement "Box" and transporting the "Guts". It worked but was more expensive than I wanted.

I found exact references to two other Compaq computers that I need to fix.
    Scott