Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Remote access (Access 2003)

I created an Access data base program that my wife uses to manage a shutin visitation program for our church. It's a pretty big job as they serve around 80 to 90 or so shutins and have to coordinate about 25 or 30 visitors with the visits every couple of weeks. So I have a well developed Access application that tracks shutins, visitors, visits and creates all kinds of reports such as visit records, name badges for visitors, mailing lists, and on and on.

My wife now has two other ladies that help her by taking over now and then to schedule visits, maintain the data base, etc. Currently, the only way we can have each lady access the db is to move the backend data from one computer to another. We can email the data, but you have to be able to zip and unzip it plus know where to put it on each machine, etc. As you can imagine, this involves keeping track of who has the latest copy of the db along with a lot of shuffling back and forth.

I'm looking for a simple way to provide common access to the backend data by, say, putting it up on the internet or perhaps making my wife's (or my) computer act as a server. All of us have broadband Internet connections. They don't need simultaneous access to the db, i.e. we could limit it so that only one person could be working on it at a time. That should avoid the necessity for all the complications with simultaneos access. I don't know how we would do this with one of our own computers, but we do have web page space on our ISP's computers where we could store the db for access by others.

The only thought I have so far would use a web page account on our ISP and set it up so that when one of them logs on it uses ftp to move the backend db from the web page to their computer, and when they quit the app it would move it back. I suppose that could work although the logistics might get a bit complicated if any of the ftp's didn't work properly.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remote access (Access 2003)

One potential method is replication - see WendellB's tutorial To replicate, or not to replicate, that is the question!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A simple solution is to use an instant messenger program such as Windows Messenger. Using this you can allow another user to take control of your computer remotely.
    The remote user can then run applications on your computer.

The speed of things (for the remote user) depends on the quality of both internet connections, but you say that all have broadband so that should not be an issue.
    Regards
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

That's an idea worth trying. I think the easiest way is to use the free remote control program called TightVNC. I use that to remotely help friends with their computer problems, so I should have thought of that myself!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes any remote control software should do the job equally well. Use whatever you are familiar with.
    Regards
    John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You can also try GoToMyPC .
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still researching and exploring all the options.