Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query: Max Result Length (Access 2003 SP2)

I have a table with 8 memo fields. I've had no problem with the length of the text an any one of the fields. However, a new requirement arose in which the simple solution seemed to be to create a UNION query in which there is one query for each of the memo fields and a sorting field. I've discovered the text from any memo field is truncated to 255 characters in the UNION query results. Individual queries on each of the memo fields return the proper results. After testing it seems the truncation is tied the the UNION and not the overall length of the query results. For example a UNION query of two memo fields with data lengths of 10 characters and 260 characters, returns a recordset with the 260 character memo field truncated to 255.

Appreciate any thoughts on how to overcome the truncation,
    Marty

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query: Max Result Length (Access 2003 SP2)

Any query in which a memo field is manipulated truncates it to a text field of 255 characters. By default, a union query removes duplicate records, this counts as manipulation of the data.
    If you change UNION to UNION ALL in the SQL text of the query, Access will not remove duplicate records, and memo fields should be included without truncation.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query: Max Result Length (Access 2003 SP2)

Hans,

Thanks very much ... UNION ALL does in fact eliminate my trunction problem.

Marty