2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Developing Application using Oldest Excel Version (Excel 2000)

Hi lounge,

Wondering if anyone knows of a document on the net the basically explains why a developer on a network must use the oldest version of office to prevent problems.

In my office place some users have 2003 and Some have 2000, there has been issues with buttons resizing and VBA not working because the developer is using 2003.
    I gave my solution to the problem and no one seems to believe that as a rule "A developer must use the oldest version of office when making shared applications"

Please correct my thinking if I am wrong.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Developing Application using Oldest Excel Version (Excel 2000)

In general, it is a good idea to develop on the oldest version you have to support, or at least to create the final "production" release on the oldest version. It is not an absolute rule, but it prevents a lot of problems.
    In the first place, newer versions of Office apps have new features that aren't available in older versions, so you should avoid using them. If you develop on the oldest version, you won't even be able to use them.
    In the second place, references to VBA object libraries are usually resolved successfully and silently when you move "up" but not when you move "down", so a user with Office 2003 should be able to use an application developed in Office 2000 without problems, but not the other way round.

See Compatibility guideline for VBA developers using Office 97 and/or Office 2003 and INFO: Writing Automation Clients for Multiple Office Versions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Developing Application using Oldest Excel Version (Excel 2000)

Thank you, that helped me