Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Word as Outlook 2003 editor (Outlook/Word 2003)

Hello,

I've been using Outlook for many years. I have had Outlook 2003 and Word 2003 for a couple of years now. In the beginning, it seemed that I was always warned not to use Word as my Outlook editor. Too many conflicts, I was told. But I would love to use it since a client I work for likes to use bullet points in his e-mails. And the spacing that I see is never what the recipient sees. I like to set some space between bulleted paragraphs.

Has this conflict been worked out between these two programs?

Does the Word editor show misspellings as you type or do you have to check for that when you are finished?

Is it safe and/or advisable to use Word as my Outlook editor? I do not need hassles since I type 30-50 e-mails a day.

Thanks in advance for your answer and/or advice.

Marilyn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using Word as Outlook 2003 editor (Outlook/Word 2003)

I'm one of those who frequently recommend not using Word as e-mail editor. This is mostly based on experience in older versions of Office. In Office 2003, most of the kinks seem to have been ironed out. Moreover, resistance is futile: in Outlook 2007, Word is the only available editor.

One thing to keep in mind: if you need to do something for which Word should not be active (such as replacing Normal.dot), you should not only quit Word, but all instances of Outlook as well. Outlook keeps a hidden instance of Word in memory as long as it's active if Word is the e-mail editor.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the advice, Hans. It is much appreciated. I have this horror of worrying that I will do something to corrupt my Outlook 2003 files. So am hesitant to do something that might cause that. Still I would like to use Word as my editor too.

I assume that when you go to write an e-mail, that causes Word to open? Or do you have to open Word first and e-mail from there? I do have several accounts that I mail from, so not sure how that would work too. The default is my own account, but also receive and send mail for some clients too. Any suggestions?

Thank you again for your help,

Marilyn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you set Word as e-mail editor, Outlook will automatically load Word invisibly the moment you start Outlook. When you click New in the Outlook toolbar, the new mail window will use Word.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again, Hans.

I will definitely give it a try. Word has a lot of functions that I use a lot and I miss them when typing e-mails since I type so many.

Marilyn