New Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Date Insert (Word 2003)

Anyone know how to make a Word template that opens with the current date already inserted into the beginning of the document?

Thanks in advance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Date Insert (Word 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

If you want the document always to display the current date, you can insert a Date field in the document:
    - Select Insert | Date and Time...
    - Choose your preferred display format.
    - Make sure that the check box "Update automatically" is ticked.
    - Click OK.

If you want the date that the document was created, or the date that the document was last saved, proceed as follows:
    - Select Insert | Field...
    - Choose CreateDate for the date the document was created, or SaveDate for the date the document was last saved, or PrintDate for the date the document was last printed.
    - Choose your preferred display format.
    - Click OK.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Works like a charm!

Thanks, Hans

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    I have a word processing group that has created hundreds and hundreds of documents using the instruction you provided to always display the current date. The issue is that when the document is re-opened at a later date, the date updates to the current system date erasing the date that was actually on the stored document file. Is there a way to open a Word file that will not automatically update the date field in the document?

This is probably an easy question [and maybe the answer is that the date field cannot be stopped from updating], but I can't seem to find an answer. All of the keys I have tried holding down [ctl, shift, alt, etc.] when opening the document have had no impact--the date is still updated to today's date. THANKS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps you should insert the CreateDate field instead of the Date field. You can also lock the field against updating in existing documents: select the field and press Ctrl+F11.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Hans, I missed this point. Explain Ctrl + F11 and how it locks the CreateDate Field? I cannot see any change in the field codes after pressing Ctrl + F11. What does this do to the field. TX
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Normally, a field is updated when
    - You select it and press F9.
    - You print or print preview the document (depending on the "Update fields" setting in the Print tab of Tools | Options...)
    - You open the document (this applies to some fields, not all).

However, if you select a field and press Ctrl+F11, you lock it, so that none of the above update it. You can unlock it again by selecting it and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F11.
    You don't see anything special when you press Ctrl+F11.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Very neat tip....TX! This could be very useful!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Also see <!post=Keyboard shortcuts for working with fields (Word),387171>Keyboard shortcuts for working with fields (Word)<!/post>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    I have done a little more research. The field being used is (Time @"MMM d yyyy" and when this field was created, the update automatically box was checked & it is formated to show the month, date and year. Again, this field updates to the current date as soon as the MS Word file is openned. I was hoping that holding down some sort of key combination when openning the Word file would prohibit this field from updating.

As part of this learning process, I am trying to "fix" this problem going forward in the templates. Is there a custom date field that I can create so that one can manually types in the date? This field would NOT be automatically updated...it would truly be a "manually" entered field. I would then list this custom date field in the header of the other pages so that the date on all pages of the document are the same. Is it possible to create a custom, manually updated only, date field in word [version xp] that can be referenced in the header of the other pages? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If it's OK to lock parts of the document, you can use a formfield from the Forms toolbar, and protect the document, or specific sections of the document, for forms.

Alternatively, you could use an Ask field, but I don't like them myself.

Another option is to display a userform when a new document is created - see <post:=259,183>post 259,183</post:> and its attachment.