2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 column combo box (2002)

Hi everybody:

This was easy in Access, but I need a little help in Excel . . .

I have a dynamic named range that returns 2 columns from a query table. I'd like to use it as the ListFillRange for a 2-column combo box; display column 2 and bind column 1 (hidden) so when my users make a selection, I can grab the ID number and do some other stuff with it.

I'm starting out with a simple combo box control from the control toolbox, no code or anything fancy.

Everything works fine if I just use a single column for a named range, but for some reason Excel is choking on my 2-column named range. I have set the column count to 2, bound column = 1, text column = 2, no column heads (my range doesn't include them, just the values), set the first column width to 0 and the second to 3 inches. Every time I type in the name of my range, Excel deletes it from the Properties box.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2 column combo box (2002)

I assume that you try to enter the name of the dynamic range in the ListFillRange (or RowSource, depending on where you use the combo box) property? That should work - I just now tested it in Excel 2002 SP-3.

Could you attach a small sample workbook that demonstrates the problem?

BTW, if you set the column width of the first column to 0, you can set the TextColumn property to the default value -1. This will use the first non-zero width column.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. My file is attached.

It's going to be a simple form, probably as a template.

The idea is to have the users select a management company, then I'll return the funds for that company to another combo, where they'll select a fund; then they'll fill out the form (which I'll develop) for the fund, and I'll download the results to the .mdb via code.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have defined MgmtCoList as the union of two one-column ranges. You should define it as a single two-column range:

=OFFSET(MgmtCos!$B$2,0,0,COUNTA(MgmtCos!$B:$[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]-1,2)

The last argument 2 specifies that the range contains two columns. The range will then work as ListFillRange for the combo box.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans! You're the best!

Everything is easy when you know how.