New Lounger
    Thanks

Not adding modified styles to the styles menu (2002)

When overriding a style in Word 2002 the new style is added to the style menu. How can I avoid this? I never override styles myself but a lot of document I work with are circulated and other people do and suddenly I have to work with a document that should have maybe 10 styles defined but in reality has 100 styles.

I can accept a few style overrides but I don't want to have the overrides listed since this just adds confusion.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not adding modified styles to the styles menu (2002)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The extra styles are not real styles, but pseudo-styles. You can get rid of them by selecting Tools | Options..., activating the Edit tab and clearing the check box labeled "Keep track of formatting".

Note: as a side effect, the option "Select all" (i.e. select all text with the same formatting as the current selection) in the Styles and Formatting task pane will be disabled. This option is only available if "Keep track of formatting" is turned on.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not adding modified styles to the styles menu

Is it possible to search for and then remove all style overrides? Framemaker can do this, which is very useful.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not adding modified styles to the styles menu

To remove added character formatting (bold, red, etc.), select some text (or the entire document) and press Ctrl+spacebar.
    To remove added paragraph formatting (indentation, tabs, etc.), select some text (or the entire document) and press Ctrl+Q.