Lounger
    Thanks

2002 sp3 normal.dot reverts bact to almost origina (2002 SP3)

My Normal.dot keeps on almost reverting back to the original normal.dot that was created at installation - a couple of months ago. That file was renamed Original Normal.Dot when I copied over my normal.dot from Office 2000 on another computer.

When I say almost, I mean some of the settings change usually those set under Tools, Options. Other things such as macros and toolbar settings remain OK and constant.

I have tried many times to fix this by using Explorer, clicking on normal.dot and Open With. I make the changes, save and close. That usually fixes the problem for a few days, then same again.

One thing I have noticed is that in Explorer, the creation date of the Normal.dot file does not change. This is the one that I am looking at in Tools, Options, File Locations.

Word never asks to update normal.dot and no other office related applications have been installed.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

thanks

Allan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2002 sp3 normal.dot reverts bact to almost origina (2002 SP3)

Perhaps an add-in is interfering. Try the steps in Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2002 sp3 normal.dot reverts bact to almost ori

The only add-in I have is Acrobat. This was a clean install of office onto a reformatted drive after the original motherboard died. I installed it after all the other applications.

It has been working fine since my last post until today, when the changes under Tools, options reverted back to the default.

Never had this problem with office 97 or 2000. Is this an office 2002 thing?

cheers

Allan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Acrobat add-in is notorious for whacking personal settings, so I'd suspect it to be the culprit. Try turning it off - you can still create PDF files by printing to the Acrobat printer, or you can turn the add-in on temporarily when you need it.

5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

G'day Hans. I'm getting unwanted changes to my Word setup. Acrobat keeps overwriting my personal menu items with a duplication of an Acrobat menu item. I can't find how to turn the Acrobat stuff off. I don't need any Acrobat menu items in Word - they can all go (wish they would!)
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. However my Acrobat version is Version 7; the fix you pointed to is for versions up to version 6. It shows how to hide the Acrobat Toolbars inserted on Word startup by PDFMaker.dot. I my setup, Acrobat 7 hasn't loaded anything. Tools | Templates & Addins | Templates is empty. And my problem is with Menu items not Toolbars.
    I have removed all Adobe Menu items and then removed Adobe from the list of trusted publishers. When I restart Word, the Acrobat stuff is there again and it has trounced my menu item again. There is no PDFMaker.dot anywhere on my computer, which is what versions up to 6 seem to use.
    I can't find anything on the net to give a solution. From the net it seems that maybe Acrobat has installed Com addin. But I have no idea how to undo that.

Late edit. I used Acrobat uninstall that lets me add/remove Acrobat Office macros. Acrobat is now all gone from my Word installation and my Menu item sticks.
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I see that you already solved the problem. The article I referred to starts with instructions for Acrobar 5 and 6, but if you had read on, you'd have found instructions for Acrobat 7 and 8.