2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

template design including headers & footers (2003)

I know that when I add or change document templates, I can change the styles in the documents, but is there any way to have the layout of the new template applied to my document?

For example, I have a report template which has certain graphics in the headers and footers. I tried to apply this template to a document that was previously done in a different template, but the page set up and graphics from the headers and footers don't update when I apply the new templates. Anyone know a work around?

thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: template design including headers & footers (2003)

There is no built-in way to do that.

You could write a macro that replaces the existing headers and footers with those in the template.

Or you could create an AutoText entry in the template that contain the header, and one for the footer, and use those to replace the existing headers footers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bummer! It is slightly more complicated than just headers and footers, but I will give the autotext entries a thought as that at least will simplify the conversion.

It is a shame that Microsoft doesn't recognise that the value in the template goes beyond mere styles!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would be rather complicated to a apply all aspects of a template to an existing document, since the user can add new sections with a different page layout. How should Word know what to do with those?